My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's getting time to change out the pads on my '04 Avalanche. A few years back I upgraded from the factory 16" wheels to 20". I've noticed from day 1 it took a little longer to stop with the brakes. I've read some, not a lot, about aftermarket pads designed to help with braking distance on larger wheels.

I've been told the best thing would be to go with larger rotors, but that would require changing lots of stuff out. I have thought about going with drilled or slotted rotors but hoping maybe I can just get away with pads. I do pull my 5x10 trailer quite a bit with anywhere up to a ton on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been planning a Brake Upgrade on my 99 F350. That would be the Bigger Rotors and Larger Pads. I'm just getting tired of replacing Rotors when they warp.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have slotted rotors and Hawk pads on my '07 Sierra. Got tired of warping on the front rotors. The combination of slotted rotors and Hawk pads did improve stopping distance, reduced dust, and no more warping.

I think you'd be much safer and have better results to go with slotted rotors and better pads. I would steer clear of slotted and drilled rotors. Some are drilled better than others, and the cheaper ones can end up cracking around the holes. Not an issue with rotors that are only slotted.

·
16,520 Posts
What else is included in theis 'upgrade"?? Is everything just 'bolt-on'??

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told to go with larger rotors that you have to get new calipers....

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
I was told to go with larger rotors that you have to get new calipers....
some vehicles do need a different set of calipers when you upgrade to a larger rotor but more often than not all you need is a different caliper mounting bracket

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's something I'm going to have to read up on. I've been looking at EBC brakes and the Hawk brand. It looks like for my truck it's going to be around $80-$100 a pair for front and back.

A couple sites I've looked on have combo kits (rotor/pads), but only for the front. What's the deal with that? I wouldn't want to just put slotted rotors on the front only, they should go all around, right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get some stock Wagner pads (Advance carries them) Their Thermo-Quiets will run you about 75$

Well worth it, I put them on the wife's truck and SHE noticed it stopped better. If you tow alot they can get the SevereDuty Fleet pads too.

AND, they're lifetime warr (Unlike EBC or Hawk).

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't mention but my truck just turned over 75K and still has the factory pads/rotors... I would say that's pretty good wear. I guess my biggest concern like I first mentioned is pulling my trailer, it doesn't have brakes and as mentioned pulling the trailer and probably an average of 1 ton on it. I had thought about putting brakes on the trailer, but for that money I could put it on the truck which needs them anyway.

Do you all think with what I'm regularly pulling I would need slotted rotors or just a "premium" regular style rotor?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Napa Has a $50 rebate when you buy some of their rotors. I have good luck with the Ultra Premiums. They also now carry dimpled rotors.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're going with new rotors anyhow I'd get the slotted or dimpled ones -
Cheapie "white box" (store brand) rotors are typically 20-30$ while the name brand (Wagner, Bendix, Raybestos) are 60-90$ At that price (and I wouldn't put the cheap ones on a gokart) A nice set of the slotted ones may not be that much more.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I ended up biting the bullet. my best friend from high school father owns a local fisher parts store, so I think I got some good prices. I went with the Raybestos advanced technology pads and Raybestos slotted rotors. Now I got a weekend project...

·
-
1,829 Posts
gcbailey, just a note, I put on slotted and dimpled rotors and they make a kind of hissing noise when you engage the brakes.

Doesn't bother me, and they work well, but the noise might be a little odd the first time you drive the truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts