My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my third Case/Ingersoll. I have a 2001 Ingersoll 6018 that I love and just picked up a 1985 Case 226 and 1988 one-cylinder 222 to blow snow and mow with. I took the snowblower off the 222 and put it on the 226. The only thing that is not right is the brakes don't work in reverse on the 226. They work fine in forward. Before I start fooling around with adjustments I want to understand why that would happen.

·
jackthebaptist
196 Posts
The mechanical brake is really only a parking brake. Use the travel control lever, applied into the retard position, or in the forward position, to stop or slow the tractor when in reverse. Just the opposite when going forward, i.e. put into retard to slow, move further into the reverse position to stop. You will encounter a grinding sound but this is normal. You are not damaging the hydraulic drive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Best regards and Happy New Year to everyone!!! :thThumbsU:thThumbsU Jack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jack

I have been using the travel control lever but I would like to be able to jam the brake on if I am, for example, rolling backward out of my driveway into the path of a fully loaded logging truck. Hopefully that won't happen -- or the drive will catch. Also, thanks for the tip about the grinding noise I was concerned about it so I won't be any more. The 226 is a little beast with a 16 HP Onan. I haven't blown any snow yet. Jan. 4 here in Central Mass and the only snow we've had was 20 inches the day before Halloween. That is whacky.

·
New case owner
178 Posts
I don't know how the 6018 is set up but once you get used to working with the travel control lever on your 200 series tractors you won't even touch the brakes anymore. The only thing I find them handy for is an emergency stop from forward motion as there should be a "return to neutral" spring attached to the brake pedal in both tractors and the brakes function in forward...but if you're rolling backwards and in trouble your best bet is the travel lever. Also...try not to roll backwards down hills. :fing20:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.