My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not yet have a maintenance manual but it is on the way. Both brake peddles are very hard to push and stick in the down position. I have to reach down and pull them back up. I greased the shafts and checked the springs. What can I do to fix this? Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
236 Posts
The brakes are internal drum brakes behind a plate. They are adjustable in multiple ways, but I've had a couple Yanmars where the pins are corroded and bound so tightly the brakes won't work. On mine it was the cam lever that goes through the outer cover and attaches to the brake linkage.

I pulled the covers and removed the components (gloves and a mask are a good idea for all of this), wire brushed and lightly lubed some parts, put it all back together and the brakes work fine now. The pads are reversible, interchangeable, etc, to take up slack if needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The pads are also generally 30 years old, and our experience is that once they start to deteriorate they come apart in pieces. They're not that pricey (considering when we first started our COST was app. $70 per shoe)...most places now sell them for $35 a shoe.....we sell 4 shoes and 4 springs (please do NOT spend good money for new shoes and reinstall springs with 30 years of tension worn out of them) for less than 4 x that shoe price. Once you've cleaned up the drum and the housing, lubed the pivot arm/cam, put in new shoes/springs, and removed the bottom drain plug so condensation can drain out, you may well be good for another 30 years.

·
Registered
110 Posts
+1 for LMTC. I got brake shoes for my YM226D from them at a lot better price than factory. if you are good with your hands you can change these without a big issue and have decent brakes again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.