My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ijust put new brake shoes and all the hardware on my 3000,The old ones worked sort of, so thinking new shoes and all new hardware they should be stopping great now? its striaght forward easy to replace but now they aint working hardly at all, gotta push down really hard to stop,Iadjusted them up equal 1 full revolution any ideas whats going on?:thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Did you take sandpaper to the drums to break the glaze on them? Even though it is a low speed application brake shoes need to seat in and a glazed slick drum does let this happen, at least very good.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Are there any special tools needed to change brake shoes on a 3000??

I recall a man telling me that he had to make a tool/wrench to fit a big nut that was not easy to get to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I did mine I had both tires elavated and spinning freely. Then adjusted the brakes until they dragged and then backed off a couple clicks. Now when I gave the tires a spin (by hand) they would go about one full spin and thats it. They work great.
My problem is my parking brake handle gets bumped by my feet and I don't notice until I smell something (hot brakes) or I go to stop and I stop as soon as I push the clutch in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sixbales, I just replaced the wheel seals on my 3000 and we had to make a tool to remove the nuts that hold the wheel bearings in place. You don't need it to replace the brakes. Ford19, the parts man at my FNH dealer told me it was very important to scuff up the drums real good in order to seat the new brake shoes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
For what it's worth, I changed my shoes a few years ago and didn't sand the drums. they worked great ! I don't have any real input to offer though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JohnW, no I didnt scuff or sand the glaze off the drums I bet that has to be it,Iasked the local tractor dealer/repair shop they said its a must to scuff the drums to reseat the new shoes also,Sixbales, its pretty easy to change the shoes its a real pain to unbolt the rims and carefully roll the loaded tires off to the side, then to realign the studs when you put it back on be carefull! ILL take one off tonight, then the other one tomorrow night and scuff the drums real good, thanks guys for the info,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts