My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I relined a couple brake bands on several tractors last year (part# 9593) and instead of replacing the entire brake band I did it with the material below. It can be cut to length and either glued on or you can buy tubular rivets from McMaster-Carr also.
www.mcmaster.com
part number 6175K115 1-1/2" wide 3/16" thick $3.99 a foot

the info above was originally derived from this post...
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=38563

P.S.
This post was removed from Red Square because a member is selling them for $20 on Ebay and didn't want anyone to know his "secret" method of drilling two holes in material easily bought online (even though I had done it last year independently). So much for trying to save people a few bucks on a well known relining method.

·
Wheel Horse Junkie!
158 Posts
Thanks for the info.........everyone always enjoys saving a buck! I will put this site in my favorites list!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will bookmark this for future reference. :thanku:

PS: I needed shifter boots for my wheel horses part number 3577, on ebay they are trying to get 8 bucks or more with shipping and when I checked my local dealer they sell them for $4.50 so it pays to do some research since I needed 6 of them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will bookmark this for future reference. :thanku:

PS: I needed shifter boots for my wheel horses part number 3577, on ebay they are trying to get 8 bucks or more with shipping and when I checked my local dealer they sell them for $4.50 so it pays to do some research since I needed 6 of them.
I got my boots for $3.60 at mowpart.com (I'm a determined shopper) but it's best to order several parts from that site since shipping tends to be more reasonable on larger orders.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I relined a couple brake bands on several tractors last year (part# 9593) and instead of replacing the entire brake band I did it with the material below. It can be cut to length and either glued on or you can buy tubular rivets from McMaster-Carr also.
www.mcmaster.com

P.S.
This post was removed from Red Square because a member is selling them for $20 on Ebay and didn't want anyone to know his "secret" method of drilling two holes in material easily bought online (even though I had done it last year independently). So much for trying to save people a few bucks on a well known relining method.
And I am the member that is selling the brake linings on eBay as well as RedSquare.

Anonymous is absolutely correct. You can go to McMaster & Carr and buy the material (6175K113) for $4.00 for a one foot piece. Keep in mind that shipping must be added into the equation. A 12" piece ships to me for $5.00. So now your cost is $9.00.

So what do you get for the extra $8.00 that I charge RedSquare members? I cut to length, bore two 3/8" holes in the proper location, clean the material, package it in plastic sleeves, include instructions for proper installation, and ship it.

There is no "secret" method.

What's so bad about me trying to make a couple of bucks? If you don't want to pay for the convenience of having it already made, that's fine. There will always be the DIY'ers, and there will always be those who want the convenience of "ready made". It's a choice.

And to clarify one point, I did not have the post on RedSquare removed. I don't have that power. I simply pointed out to the admins that I didn't think it was right for you to post supplier, part number, and cost as the very next post after my placing the "for sale" ad.

I have no problem with anyone knowing where to buy the raw material. I would not have known myself if not for Save_Old_Iron's post on RedSquare.

So I'm offering another alternative to Toro's ridiculous price of $60.00 for a brake band. I wonder how much it costs them to make that?

Bob

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
www.mcmaster.com

P.S.
It's not hard to see why you want to be "Anonymous". :sidelaugh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the support guys.

Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I am the member that is selling the brake linings on eBay as well as RedSquare.

Anonymous is absolutely correct. You can go to McMaster & Carr and buy the material (6175K113) for $4.00 for a one foot piece. Keep in mind that shipping must be added into the equation. A 12" piece ships to me for $5.00. So now your cost is $9.00.

So what do you get for the extra $8.00 that I charge RedSquare members? I cut to length, bore two 3/8" holes in the proper location, clean the material, package it in plastic sleeves, include instructions for proper installation, and ship it.

There is no "secret" method.

What's so bad about me trying to make a couple of bucks? If you don't want to pay for the convenience of having it already made, that's fine. There will always be the DIY'ers, and there will always be those who want the convenience of "ready made". It's a choice.

And to clarify one point, I did not have the post on RedSquare removed. I don't have that power. I simply pointed out to the admins that I didn't think it was right for you to post supplier, part number, and cost as the very next post after my placing the "for sale" ad.

I have no problem with anyone knowing where to buy the raw material. I would not have known myself if not for Save_Old_Iron's post on RedSquare.

So I'm offering another alternative to Toro's ridiculous price of $60.00 for a brake band. I wonder how much it costs them to make that?

Bob
Didn't you call the people that buy from you in your personal message to me "If these characters were smart enough to do a little research, they would find out the same info that you did.". Saying that about your customers is probably not the best business plan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Didn't you call the people that buy from you in your personal message to me "If these characters were smart enough to do a little research, they would find out the same info that you did.". Saying that about your customers is probably not the best business plan.
And the definition of a "personal message" is what?

If you want to take something out of context and publish it, that's okay. I'll print the whole quote:

"If these characters were smart enough to do a little research, they would find out the same info that you did. But I am doing this for those who don't want to do their homework, just buy a product."

There will always be those who would rather buy the competed product, than to have to buy the parts and make the product.

Judging by the number of sales that I have had since this banter began, it doesn't seem to be hurting my sales at all.

Have a nice day :)

Bob

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,527 Posts
Gentlemen, we here at MTF do not want your disagreements carried over to this Site..

Please refrain from your back and forth bickering..:thanku:

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
For someone who wishes to be "Anonymous", you sure are making a name for yourself. :00000061: Your posts amount to nothing more than mere Horse Droppings.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Can you get different lengths and widths? Will you do work for JD guys? I have a old 70JD (not a garden tractor though) and will be needing brake pads...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you get different lengths and widths? Will you do work for JD guys? I have a old 70JD (not a garden tractor though) and will be needing brake pads...
Sorry I didn't see your post until today. Yes, I can get different lengths and widths. Let me what your requirements are, and I will get you a quote.

JD owners are fine by me. I own a 160 myself.

Bob

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Anonymous?

Why not a username like Clandestine? Undermine? Vengence? Bitterness?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I need more lining for my other tractor to glue on my band. Darned if I lost the name of the company I ordered that lining from back in 2012.

So I googled around a bit using wheel horse brake material, wheel horse brake lining etc.. once again and I'll be dang the info/argument is still on here after all these yrs I see..lol
I'll be drilling/gluing another lining on very soon now that I refound my info.

Btw' not to toss fuel on an already lit fire here guys but has anyone tried gluing a piece of lining on their PTO brake? If so how did that go or well stop rather?
It won't be long here I'll need a piece there too, its fully adjusted out.
Ok now duck everyone!!..lol

Again I thank you all for helping my Wheel Horse roll on or well stop rather!!!

*Peace (I mean that)..lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts