My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guess it is more like a Father and Son project.
Last summer my yougest boy (14 yr old), made the comment "I'm 14, I'll be driving in 2 yrs, I need an old car to fix up". So we a '67 Mustang. It ran and drove good. The body has the normal rust holes in the normal places for these cars but parts are readily availble. Here are some pics.

started out looking like this

After removing all the chrome and lights, we started stripping the paint off.

This revealed the true condition of the car.

the back 1/4 panels had the expected rust around and behind the wheels. The best way to repair this is to replace the fender well and 1/4 panel.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Looks like a great project and when you are finished you will have a real classic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more pics

we cut and replaced the outer 1/2 half of the wheel well. The trunk drop had been replaced with a piece of aluminmum, so we replaced it as well with the correct piece.

Getting the wheel well in the proper place was a bit time consuming, it has to prefectly match up to the wheel opening of the 1/4 panel.

We had to test fit the panels several times making small adjustments here and there until we were sastified with the fit.

These replacement panels are far from a perfect fit, small modifying to make them fit is necessary

Finally got the fit we were looking for and made tack welds every 4 inches or so and cooled each tack before moving to the next tack. We repeated this process until we had a continous bead, very time consuming.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a great project and when you are finished you will have a real classic.
We have enjoyed the time spent working on it.

I have more pics but it seems the I.S. likes them so much they are gone for now. I'm not sure whats up with that but it seems they eventually come back

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the drivers side cut out so a new 1/4 panel can be installed.

This is just a rough cut, still have to do the triming

This is as far as we have got.

When we get back to work on it I'll post more pics. Its been a busy summer for us and we haven't got to work on it for several weeks.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,185 Posts
Nice work!:congrats:
I'll probably be doing something like that soon with 13 year old twin boys.:eek:mg:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Looks like a nice solid body to start with..here in MA,that car would be considered practically "rust free" even the way it was when you bought it!..few here would go to the trouble of putting the complete rear quarters on it,but I think your doing it "right"..your son will likely be quite popular once he gets that on the road!..do they still have any drive in movie theaters in MO??..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a nice solid body to start with..here in MA,that car would be considered practically "rust free" even the way it was when you bought it!..few here would go to the trouble of putting the complete rear quarters on it,but I think your doing it "right"..your son will likely be quite popular once he gets that on the road!..do they still have any drive in movie theaters in MO??..

Well I believe he will keep this car for quite a while, (he has done a lot of the work, including some of the welding), those rear 1/4's ought to be good for another 20-25yrs doing them this way. It should make a nice driver for him.......We still have 1 or 2 Drive-in theaters around, most have been torn down.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What motor does the stang have in it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice job!! Want to come over and do the same to my 70?? :D :D

Has the rear taillight panel been replaced also??

Not that I would mind helping, but that would be a ways to drive........

The taillight panel did have a crease in it from being hit in the back end at some time.
OPPS! I intented to post pics of the tailight panel being replaced.......and the deck lid

If you look close in the first pic, at the inside of the passanger 1/4 panel there is a lap seam, you can see where someone had replaced the lower section of the fender.

·
Registered
764 Posts
thirty eight years ago my dad and i did the same thing. sadly he passed away at an early age,but those hours spent working on that car are priceless,you'll never do a better thing for your son than spending time with him like this. i envy you and the fun you'll be having.how i would love to spend one more hour with dad tinkering with something in the garage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We wasn't sure which to do first, we were concerned that we might lose the correct alingment of the 1/4 panel if too much of the car was removed at once. We did the taillight panel first, thinking that if it were installed then we would have the correct reference point to reattach the 1/4 to and nothing on the car body would sag.

There is a website that has some good restoration pics on it, I can't recall the name of the site, but I have it bookmarked on my other computer. I'll see if I can find it later for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts