My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do some yard maintenance. I have gravel driveway and path back to the barn and garden. Over the years the gravel has kind of filled in with weeds, now its time to reclaim it. I looked at a King Kutter box blade with teeth on it, will the teeth dig into the gravel and tear up the gravel and blade it smooth, or would a different implement be better for the job?
I was reading a previous post about the box blade, sounds like it may be a bit of a chore. I dont want to spend $500 bucks for the blade if its just going to cause me headache.
I have a 33 hp Case.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The box blade will do it, do a few pass's with the teeth down, depending on how hard the gravel is you may have to do a few pass's, go slow and light to start, then tilt it back and use the box blade to level, roll and you are finished, the results will be amazing. We use them every day in our landscaping business, shocked as are clients and neighbours at the results. I use them on the 2520 and the 2720, the 2305 will do a pretty good job but it takes a lot of power braking up compacted gravel.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
You can do wonders with a box blade but it does take a little practice.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

With a 33hp tractor you have enough power to run a 5ft box blade. My salesman at the local JD dealership has had a lot of experience with smaller tractors and he says at least 30hp is ideal for a 5ft. BB. I use a homemade rake and a rear blade on my driveway, but there are lots of times I would like the ripping teeth that the back blade has. It seems to be a very versatile implement but requires some practice to get good results.

Brian

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
I use a 24HP 2305 with a 4 foot Landpride blade. It has enough power to dig up the driveway with the rippers down. I find that I struggle for traction way sooner than I run out of grunt. I run 5 x 42 pound weights on the front to balance things up a bit. Like the others said, with a bit of practice a box blade gives amazing results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have a 48" Landpride box blade and pull it with a Kubota B1750, about 20 HP. I maintain a long gravel driveway. It works great for me. I tip it a bit to put a slight crown on the roadbed. I have eliminated a puddle and smoothed out ruts. Very pleased with the results.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
With 33 hp, I'd say you could go with a 72" blade, if it's a full size tractor, or a larger CUT. I have a 60" BB and use an X748 to pull it. Like Smeagol said, I run out of traction before I run out of power. I have used mine for the very same reason you're looking at, and with rippers at their first notch, I can tear up the gravel and fill the box, and I don't have wheel weights or filled tires. I added about 120 lb front weight to get the front tires to bite better.

I will admit, I am at the very lower limit of what a 60" blade will work on, but if I start shallow with the rippers, and then drop them down another notch or two, it's surprising what it will loosen up.

Check around for a used one before you dump $500 into a new one. I found mine, almost new (still had all the paint) for $350. I had to make it more valuable, though, so I painted it green:fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
A box blade will do the job, but be patient with it, they take some practice to get the hang of it. :goodl:

·
1944 Ford 2N
731 Posts
Choose the box blade- You'll not regret it-- My neighbor has a back blade and was trying to level gravel in her very pitted driveway- ended up just pushing it in the gulley- I let her borrow the box (she is very independent -- I offered to do it myself- I swear!!) and she was amazed how quick and easy it was - she has never used one in her life and a couple of quick suggestions/tips and she had a level 500 ft drive in less than an hour..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts