My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John Deere 455 and need something to do level the stones on my 300 foot driveway, Guy who delivered the stones said to use a Landscape Rake, others tell me a Box Blade or Back Blade, what is everyone else using?

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Actually, it is a combination of tools.
You don't mention how rutted or uneven your drive is. You are going to have to level the base material first, then add the stone and compact it.

Use a box blade first with the rippers to loosen and even out the drive. Use a heavy roller & water to level and compact. Add the new stone and spread with a landscape rake. Use the heavy roller & water to compact the spread stone. Repeat as needed. Work in small sections at a time.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the driveway is about 32 years old, I just had a dump truck load of 2b stone put down, the guy did a great job of tailgating it, so I have to rake it level to fill in the holes, the truck driver recommended a landscape rake but I was thinking a back blade, I don't have anything to use right now so I'm going to buy new or used.

·
Money Pit
902 Posts
Landscape rake is the tool to own. I use the heck out of mine. It keeps your gravel drive way smooth and clean. I also thought a back blade was the answer until I used a landscape rake. I beat up on mine more than I should. I also use it for brush removal.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
2b stone is just plain 3/4" gravel. You could use a landscape rake.....
But for future maintenance, a box blade may be more useful because it can rip up compacted soil and level it..... a rake would just skip over it..... same with a plow.

I guess it depends on whether your gravel will get pressed into the substrate soil over time or not. If not, a rake may be sufficient.
Do you have other intended uses for either of thesesl implements?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like others have said box blade with the rippers to remove pot holes if you just fill in the pot holes they will return once you have the pot holes removed and the drive way some what level move on to the landscape rake. I had a lot of frustration at first with the landscape rake front of tractor goes down rake goes up front of tractor goes up rake goes down the more I worked it the worse it got. They were expensive but I got the wheel kit for it adjust the top link and the wheels with the shims put the 3 point all the way down to float one smooth road end of the frustration life is good.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellows, There is some dips in the driveway that need more stone raked in after the driver dumped the load, so I'm thinking a landscape rake will do the job, but in the future I might need a box blade to scrape the center of the driveway down since it looks like it's getting a hump there, I'm thinking of going to Rural King and getting a 5 foot King Kutter Rake, is this a good choice?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
There is no such thing as too many attachments, but i would say if you dont have any foreseen uses for the rake, other than the deiveway, then i would suggest the box scraper only.....
But yea... more attachments is better!

Make sure you get the gauge wheel kit as noted earlier

·
Money Pit
902 Posts
King Kutter makes pretty good stuff. I would look for one that is quick hitch compatible. Even if you don't have a quick hitch it might be something you would like to get in the future. I'll have to post a picture of my rake. I added a bar that keeps the rake tines in place. It made a huge difference in its performance.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think I want a landscape rake , been pushing up the woods and useing a box blade , dose a great job but stay out of the live stuff trees wise that way I don't tear up my tractor pushing up the woods is a very dangerous job and a good way to get killed . Basically I am just pushing up rotted dozer piles and rotted limbs that I throw in the woods and keep me a hole open to put more limbs in . Landscape rake i am sure is useful for limbs and big piles of leaves . Don't let a tree come through the drivers seat so I will limit the risk .

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
getting the landscape rack, since it looks like it might be useful in the garden, if I'm not satisfied then I will get the box blade, like some mention that you can never have to many attachments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts