My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these for my car's interior light bulbs, and the license plate light many years ago. Thought of this the other day, why not buy them for the tractor too.

Ah, behold, the power of LED light bulbs!

Front replacements x3 (19 LED's total in cool white 8000K)

The rear replacements x2 (5 LED's total in cool white)

The end result:

I shouldn't even have to show you a before picture, cause we know how weak the stock bulbs are, and how well they preform:crybaby: . Cant wait to go play in the dark now. :trink39:

~F~

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not to mention that when using them they are easier on the charging system since LEDs are quite a lot more efficient.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Not to mention that when using them they are easier on the charging system since LEDs are quite a lot more efficient.
I went to a 35w. halogen upgrade kit for my JD GX. If the engine is a cold and you are idling a bit slow the charging light comes on with the PTO.:ROF LED is the wave of the future.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,611 Posts
How much for just the headlights? I gotta say WOW! What an improvement over the stock lights!

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just visit their web site, and check your bulb # to theirs, and then pick your color, and # of LED's you want in each bulb.

They had some with less LEDs and some with more LEDs for my head light selection, I went in the middle, and I am very happy with my 19 LEDs per bulb.

~F~

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
Man, your killing me. Now that is just cool. I'm ordering some for my 318. I can't wait until school is out so I can start tinkerin.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hydro,
I did the same halogen upgrade on my 345. Now you go get these here new fangled lites and report back here with your results.
No sense in both of us doing the change to find out if its better......

very dangerous...you go first.......lol :biglaugh:

dave

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
HH,
Sign me up. Where do I pick up my grant money?

But if we do one each won't that make the tractor pull to one side?

ds:bonk:

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did it tell you how many watts the led version draws. What wattage was your old filament bulb?
Yup, head lights:

Part NO
1156-W19

Emitting Color
White

Operating
Voltage Range
Unit: VDC
9~14.8

Current Draw
@ 12 Volt
Unit: mA
66/23

Single LED Luminous Intensity
Unit: mcd

Dominant
Wavelength / CCT*
Unit: nm / K

Beam Pattern
Unit: degrees
18/100

As for the old filament bulb...I can research that some for you it you like, compared to these...they might as well as been off, or I should use a flash light.

The "painted reflector back ground" if you want to call it that on my hood, is not the best for reflecting light from the filament bulb, so much of the light out put was absorbed before it even left the hood. With these LED's, they are direct, pointing in the way you want the light to go to begin with. With the filament bulb, you were at the mercy of the background reflecting light, and the clear lens cover letting it out, with these LEDs, they do their job with out any help from its surroundings.

Not sure if that makes since or not, but that's the best was I can explain it.

~F~

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
But if we do one each won't that make the tractor pull to one side?
Keep your dominant eye closed.:D

This thread is going to make me rethink the magnetic mount 35w light I planned on hooking up to a power port and manual switch for backing up... I can put 2 LED units back there and leave them lit all the time when plowing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cooooollllll!!!!!!!.....what a great idea...GR8....Over the past 5 years I have been converting all my clearance lights on my over the road trucks to LEDs...As a basic rule of thumb, they draw about 1/10th the amperage as a conventional incandescent type bulb. I also converted my Harley, and the trailer for my Harley to LEDs...saw a drastic difference on the load on the charging system...Think I'll also put them in the lawn tractor!!:fing32:
Steve in Pa

·
Registered
71 Posts
PS...In case any of you don't want to wait, most all the larger trucks stops carry a pretty good assortment of the LED lights, and most PETROS carry the individual replacement bulbs that were shown. They are also available in a whole host of colors...lol..and most have a really good warranty with them. The ones i've been buying mostly have either lifetime, or a 10 yr warranty on them.

The only negative I can think of with the LEDs, is if you are putting them on a road legal vehicle, and you live in an area with snow, (like me) they run so cool that snow will accumulate on the tail lights if there is snow on the road, because they don't develop enough heat to melt it off...but this is minor..the pros sure outweigh the cons..

Steve in Pa

1 - 20 of 50 Posts