My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT with a 2351, the 2nd gear doesn't stay engaged if I'm not holding firmly the lever in place. As soon as I'm leaving my hand it disengage from 2nd gear and there is clashing gear noise... All other gears (forward and reverse) are working properly without the need to hold the shift lever.

I'm not an expert on transaxles so I wanted another one to do a quick swap and later trying to service my broken one. I have the Peerless Technician Handbook manual so it will help somewhat... Maybe some of you can tell me what you think is broken inside... How hard is it for someone that never worked on that before? When flushing the oil, would you refill it with 80W90 as it states in the manual of synthetic 75w90 for yellow metals (I saw that somewhere so I wonder, is there some yellow metal in the 2300?)

I paid CA 75$ for the tractor with a 2351 transaxle but while searching on google for some info, I saw on ebay some people asking CA 460$ (US 350$) for a 2312 and a 2333. Is it worth that much? How much would you pay for a used working 2300?

I have 3 more GT with the 2300 series; 2 in very good shape and 1 other leaking oil by the input shaft, the pulley is somewhat moving so there must be some damage inside; it's working great for now but one day it will become a parts unit... unless if I can repair it without being a money pit.

And last question, is there a good site to buy parts/seals for those units?

Here some pics of the dead tractor: ;)

Oh, and the two rear tires were full of water... The tractor was in a barn, on 4 flat tires, I inflated them they're not leaking air, only water :oops:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've never been into one of those but the one leaking oil will need new bearings and seal. Not sure what is in that transmission it's eather ball bearings or bushings.

·
Super Moderator
31,797 Posts
Well, I'd replace it quick as possible before possibly doing more damage. You have the same manual as I have so you can see the diagram and instructions for disassembley and reassembly. Follow the book and you should be OK, make sure to do scribe marks where they indicate it for proper reassembly.

·
close enuff works for me
3,101 Posts
The cheapest way to get a transmission is buy a non running tractor with the correct trans. The other parts on the parts tractor will come in handy also. It will take a little looking ,I have bought non runners for $100 to $200 .on craigslist. The guys that buy old tractors and sell parts ,tend to be rather expensive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cheapest way to get a transmission is buy a non running tractor with the correct trans. The other parts on the parts tractor will come in handy also. It will take a little looking ,I have bought non runners for $100 to $200 .on craigslist. The guys that buy old tractors and sell parts ,tend to be rather expensive.
That's why I bought the tractor. I need the transmission but the tires and front end will come handy ;) I'll swap the transmission and I'll see later what I'll be doing with the bad one. Maybe I'll be able to make one with 2...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts