My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching for a good deal on either a rock rake or a box blade. Found a 60" box blade at a local dealer. It is used, but looked as good as any of the new ones on the lot. Just faded from sitting in the sun. I don't know what the brand is, don't care. I picked it up for $300. Tried it out as soon as I got it home; well, hitched it up to see how well the X748 handles it. Picks it up like nothing, easy to put on and take off.

I picked up a couple of spray bombs of JD green on the way home, I'll give it a verdant makeover and post pics of how much better it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
That looks great! The JD green will make it worth much more:ROF I wished my tractor would handle something like that. I still have a lot of dirt to move. I look forward to seeing the pics when you get her all detailed up!:trink39:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Far more important than green paint or how easily your X picked it up is whether your tractor has the weight, power and traction needed to pull that box blade when fully loaded and also pull it with all four ripper teeth engaged with the soil.

I think that I'd be leaving the rattle cans where they are until I had done a total test on this attachment to make sure the combo would do what I wanted it to.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't expect I'll be able to move a full box of dirt or gravel, but it will still be an improvement on a regular scrape blade's tendency to let the dirt out around the ends. I wanted a blade at least wider than the track of the tractor. A 48" wasn't enough, and I can't seem to find a 4-1/2' blade. I've been pleasantly surprised by the 748's pulling ability. It does very well with a 50" reverse rotation tiller in packed southern red clay, where the tiller is working against your forward motion.

For what I paid, for the boxblade and two cans of paint, I should be able to get my money back if I sell it. Spruce it up, it will look better than it did.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think that I'd just freshen up the yellow to match the deck & wheels. It will still look like a JD implement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks good! My guess is King Kutter but who knows. If you decide to sell it I'd be interested depending upon where you are in NC and depending upon your expected profit margin.....:trink40:

Good luck!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hodges that is a "Land Pride" brand box. One of the heaviest and best built brand of implements available now. So well made that Kubota and LandPride have entered into an agreement where LandPride is Kubotas reccommended/approved inplement supplier and LandPride has started shipping their goods to Kubota dealers in Kubota orange.

How do I know? I sell and service them.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you decide to sell it I'd be interested depending upon your expected profit margin.....:trink40:

Good luck!
I fully expect to get twice what I paid for it if I sell it. Like 09X540 said, the green paint makes it worth a lot more:ROF :ROF

If it won't work for me, I'll sell it for just a bit more than what I paid, just for the cleanup time and paint, but I think it's gonna serve me okay. I painted it yesterday evening, looks really good in JD green. I''l post a couple of pics tomorrow.

dirtsaver-- It's not a Land Pride, unfortunately. I have had several LP implements and love them. You're right about the build and quality. I bought this from a guy who sells mainly Howse and Lineback (sp?) and gets a few used implements in occasionally. he said this was a "Southern", but anyway, the paint isn't Land Pride. Not the same quality. You could see through this stuff it was put on so thin. Land Pride paint jobs weigh about 1/4 of the total implement:ROF They really put on a good coat.

Gonna give it a whirl at a couple of jobs around the house tomorrow, after I finish picking beans and mowing. The paint should be ready to scrape off by then.

·
JD RULES
1,025 Posts
Hi KHodges ,

What projects do you have for your new implement ???
It looks great , :fing32: , looking forward to the green pictures ...

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, here's the Brand X box blade redux. I did a minimal sanding on a couple of really rough spots, but basically just cleaned it with a wet rag and then sprayed it. Notice the nice touch of the JD emblems on the lift bracket? The rippers are also painted, just haven't put them back on yet.

I've got some driveway levelling to do, that's about it for now. I may video it, unless it's embarrassingly too difficult for the tractor, and all I do is sit and spin my tires once I drop the blade:praying:

Attachments

·
JD RULES
1,025 Posts
Looks good and I don't think the X748 will have any problem with it unless
you fill the box ... I asked you in a different thread , how you got your
Tractor to the property 10 miles away , (you must have missed it) just
curious ???

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked you in a different thread , how you got your
Tractor to the property 10 miles away , (you must have missed it) just
curious ???

Later,x595
On this. Normally, I don't take the GT235; it stays at my Mom's usually, but I brought it home one day for maintenance. I wasn't sure until I tried, that I could get both on the trailer. It's 14' long. Bought it for $750 about 12 years ago from a guy who made it to haul a speedway race car.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hodges looks like I stepped in it big time!!! Everything pointed to your scraper being from LandPride from the photos. Just goes to show ya!!

Larry

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks great KHodges! Nice touch with the JD emblems. Hopefully you will post pics of the mean X748SE pulling that bad boy around.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First reports are in-- the box blade is a definite KEEPER.

I played with it some today, didn't video anything, though. If I have the rippers out, and the blade does all the cutting, it will pull in 2WD with the box almost full, some spinning. Axle locked and 4WD, it will fill the box in loose to moderately packed dirt and keep on going, with dirt spilling over the top of the blade.

With the rippers in, at their highest position, if I try to start from a stop with the blade down, I might as well be chained to a tree, even in 4WD. BUT, if I start out with the blade up, drop it slowly as I go, it will start digging and almost fill the box before I "bog down". It does much better in hard packed crusher-run gravel (my driveway). Pushing dirt or gravel in reverse, it also does admirably.

If it were a 6' box instead of a 5', it would be too big for sure, and the 5' is certainly close to the limit for my tractor. However, with a bit of finesse, I can do whatever the blade can do behind a bigger tractor, it will just take me a couple of more passes and a bit more time, but not much.

It impresses me even more, now, just how well this tractor pulls. I don't have filled tires or wheel weights, and the only extra weight I was using was two 42 pound suitcase weights on the front. If I were to add more weight, it might do even better, but I'm satisfied as is. I do think that eventually I'll change to a lug style ag tire in back, most likely Tru-Power's. The HDAP's pull incredibly well, but if they pack up, they start losing grip. The more open lug tires won't fill up the tread as fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts