My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not believing this! I just put the new grease gun together, brought my X300 around to do the axle pivots, and pulley spindles. I attach it to the left front axle pivot, give it a couple of pumps of grease. Now, it will not come off! The directions say to tilt the fitting, twist, and pull. It doesn't budge! I even tried a pair of channel locks. Nothing!

Anyone have any ideas? I am getting pi$$ed!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Try spraying it with a garden hose!

:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

(Sorry, couldn't resist saying that!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm not familiar with a JD grease gun but on most ends you can loosen the grip it has on the fitting by turning the tip. At least you will be able to detach it from the grease gun if nothing else. That's how my tip works anyway. Good luck and let us know the out come.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
Back off the adjustment sleeve (just behind the tip). If it does not have one, you paid too much! :hide:

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
I've had one get stubborn before, but tilting the tube of the gun so that the connection is at an angle has always worked. Is your new gun one with a flexible greaser, or a straight greaser. I don't have a flexible one, so I've always had a little leverege. Give it another patient try, you should not have to get too tough on it with vise grips or channel locks.

Was this the first zerk connection it ever had? Did you confirm you were actually pumping grease through the fitting?

Good luck, it's labor day weekend, good time to run a little equip maintenance.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Just leave it on there, you will have to grease it sometime again anyway.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disconnected the hose. The fitting is on there. And, it's not coming off. This is such crap! I see no solution other than putting a small open end wrench on the ball fitting, and removing it that way. And, getting a new fitting. John Deere can deal with that. Channel locks, even after tilting, and turning - nothing!
I didn't really have to force the damned thing on, either. Is it possible that it's the wrong fitting? That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Did you try to insert a screwdriver between the two and pop it off? I've seen stubborn ones before

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
this is the fitting ...
It is hard to see from the picture, but if that tip is a solid piece and there is no way to adjust how tightly it grips the zerk fitting, you need a different tip.

Looks like you should be able to unscrew the fitting with an open end wrench, like you mentioned. You could take it back to the dealer and get a new tip plus maybe a new zerk.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Most grease gun ends are two peice so they can be assembled. The knurled portion and the wrench flat should be two separate peices. Try to hold the knurled end with pliers and use a wrench on the flats. First try to determine if its a two peice design or not by looking for a dividing line between the parts.

Brad

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears the tip is a 2 piece unit. But, I don't think it is. I tried separating it with pliers, and an open end wrench.
And, I tried getting a screwdriver blade in there, as well. No luck.

I honestly don't think I have ever seen anything quite like this before. It's now almost laughable. :trink40:

But, at least, now that the hose is off, I can go about cutting my yard. 'Guess, I'll have to wait until next week, and let John Deere advise me further.

I do appreciate everyone's input. Something so simple shouldn't be so complicated. :banghead3

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Watch it fall off while you mow the yard.:fing20:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Watch it fall off while you mow the yard.:fing20:
Now; that would be a Hoot!!:thThumbsU LMAO!!!

After grabbing a bite of lunch, I'm thinking the only solution here is to remove the grease fitting with the grease fitting attached, pitch 'em, and install a new grease fitting, and buy a 'good' adapter for the grease gun. At this point, not sure if there is another solution.

You know, I remember those grease fittings that were spring loaded! Weren't those trouble free??!! :trink39:

·
Super Moderator
35,942 Posts
I've had them go "tight" on me before but I've always been able to wrestle them off the tip! Maybe it time for some more Wheaties???? :ROF

·
10,839 Posts
I agree that it looks to be an adjustable tip. Try to get the largest wrench and channel locks on it that fits in there.

On the other hand, you can claim to have a very expensive dust cap on your zerk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It fell off!! I got about 1 lap around my front yard, glanced down, and it was gone! Yeah! It fell off! Lmao!! I shut off my X300 and followed the path back around where I started. it's buried down in the grass somewhere. How crazy!!

So now, I go and buy (hopefully) a good adapter that will screw right on the JD Grease Gun, and all will be good! But, I am going to make **** sure it goes on, and comes off easily!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts