My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found 2 JX85s advertised & I’ve been looking for wheels for my 14SX so jumped on them. Turns out they were only a few miles from a 14SB & 14SE I'd asked about previously & that guy messaged last night saying his wife would be home today...they’d been out of town. The guy with the JX85s asked if I wanted some spare parts...ended up with a drive cable and handle update kit, starter, lower handlebar, one wheel, 2 drive cables, and 2 blade brake handles and cables all brand new. Also a used upper handle and a used wheel in OK shape. The decks are rough...14SB probably just parts. The 14SE has the oil filter kit. Also 2 mulch plugs but no bags. Oh and all of the manuals & receipts for the JX85s.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,851 Posts
You got tags for all those deeres???? :sidelaugh Nice pickup load of machines! I need to get a new push mower so I'll have to keep my eyes open for one around here. Seems they command a pretty good price if they're running at all though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got tags for all those deeres???? :sidelaugh Nice pickup load of machines! I need to get a new push mower so I'll have to keep my eyes open for one around here. Seems they command a pretty good price if they're running at all though.
I see them for $150-250 pretty frequently. I sold my JA65 & JX75 easily for $250 but I had quite a few attachments with them. I need to list a couple of the 14SBs and see what I can get out of them. I've got several I haven't started fixing up yet but if they are going to cost a lot more to fix than they are worth I might find something different to do with my time. lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two JX85s? That is beyond SICK! You've got a small fortune just in parts there! Nicely done!
I paid $15 each for the JX85s and $10 for the 14SX. I ended up with about $215 in the 14SX to fix everything...many of the parts I bought for it I know have spares of from this last purchase. lol The spare parts were $10...I almost felt guilty. Paid $35ea for the 14SB & 14SE.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I paid $15 each for the JX85s and $10 for the 14SX. I ended up with about $215 in the 14SX to fix everything...many of the parts I bought for it I know have spares of from this last purchase. lol The spare parts were $10...I almost felt guilty. Paid $35ea for the 14SB & 14SE.
:tango_face_surprise
Had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that! I don't even know what to say..... Can't believe anyone would let them go that those kind of prices! Are the JX85s running and what are your plans for them?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ended up with about $215 in the 14SX to fix everything
I think that was a good move. A lot of people think I'm crazy to say this, but that kind of investment in a mower the quality of a 14SX/14SB/JX75/JX85 is something I wouldn't hesitate to do. Mowers of this quality aren't built any more, just look at how many are still running after 25-30 years and many of them don't get much maintenance at all. If you can find one with a good solid deck, I would invest money in it to keep it going.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
:tango_face_surprise
Had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that! I don't even know what to say..... Can't believe anyone would let them go that those kind of prices! Are the JX85s running and what are your plans for them?
One was being used until a rear wheel bolt broke & someone didn't drill it straight. He said the other was still working fine when he put it in the shed. Both have been sitting long enough I'm going to clean out the gas tanks & carbs before I try anything.

I had a JA65 & JX75 before I moved a little over a year ago. I'd fixed them both up but didn't think I'd use anything but a rider at my new house. Turns out the yard is too steep for a rider...and my daughter is old enough I just started paying her to mow. lol I'm planning on saving 3 good mowers so once my son is old enough I can mow with both kids...maybe start a little side business for them. At this point I think I'll keep one of the JX85s, the 14SX, and a 14SB...the 14SE will go to my mother in law to replace a 14SB I supplied her with earlier this year. Not sure what I want to do with the second JX85. Hate to part it out but it would be some nice cash to offset the money I've laid out for the rest of the collection. lol

I think that was a good move. A lot of people think I'm crazy to say this, but that kind of investment in a mower the quality of a 14SX/14SB/JX75/JX85 is something I wouldn't hesitate to do. Mowers of this quality aren't built any more, just look at how many are still running after 25-30 years and many of them don't get much maintenance at all. If you can find one with a good solid deck, I would invest money in it to keep it going.
That was towards the top of what I wanted to spend considering I have 4 perfectly good 14SB's here plus a friends to use. But I just wanted a commercial one. lol And I agree...I haven't seen much else for that money that I like no matter the age so perfectly fine spending a bit on them. We have an aluminum welder at work I've taught myself to use. I've welded & redrilled a fair amount of handle bolt holes and the first 14SB I bought was missing chunks out of the deck & I rebuilt it with scraps. I've got two good decks stashed away but need 3...I'm going to see if I can combine parts of the JX85 & 14SE decks.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
keep the other jx85 for spare parts. the rear end and trans are jx85 specific. tires and wheels also. part of what makes the 85 so much better than the 75 is the rear wheel traction. the 85 will climb a steep slope/hill like a mountain goat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts