My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an excuse, and to tell you the truth, I could have made due with yet another chain for my Poulan, but my wife got a quote on having a huge dead pine removed. $400 and $500 quotes!

So being the oportunist, I said to her that we could pay someone, or I could get a little bigger saw and handle the monster tree myself.

Only problem, is my 8 year old thinks he inherits my old stuff everytime I buy something new. Baby's first chainsaw - not.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Those are great saws. My dad had one with the 20 inch bar. That was his back up saw to rescue the 3120 when the 48inch bar got pinched. He used it 6yrs commercially and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thats a fine saw, I have had one for about 5 years and it runs great. Just came in from cutting about 25 pines down for my sons rc truck track with it.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Take the blade off and let him Play with it :banghead3

He is darn near 9 .. let him have a little fun ..Mr Worry Wart :D:D

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's not good enough for him, Ken. After letting him cut 4 branches with very close supervision (me standing over him with my hands on the saw), he felt like he was ready to run on his own. You're right though, I was using a McCoulloch 6-42 at his age.

Kingwood and DeepSouth, how long did it take to break the engines in? I am a bit less than thrilled with how much effort it takes to start this one up. (It's harder to start than my Poulan).

I can't wait to get this thing into some oak. In sappy pine it doesn't cut a whole lot better than my Poulan.

Do you guys run the pricey oil in your gas, or just 30Wt? At $2.98 per 2.6 oz bottle, someone is getting rich!

I also noticed pre-mixed fuel is now available. Seems crazy to me but it must be selling.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That's not good enough for him, Ken. After letting him cut 4 branches with very close supervision (me standing over him with my hands on the saw), he felt like he was ready to run on his own. You're right though, I was using a McCoulloch 6-42 at his age.

Kingwood and DeepSouth, how long did it take to break the engines in? I am a bit less than thrilled with how much effort it takes to start this one up. (It's harder to start than my Poulan).

I can't wait to get this thing into some oak. In sappy pine it doesn't cut a whole lot better than my Poulan.

Do you guys run the pricey oil in your gas, or just 30Wt? At $2.98 per 2.6 oz bottle, someone is getting rich!

I also noticed pre-mixed fuel is now available. Seems crazy to me but it must be selling.
I don't think anyone has been running 30wt since 1970. :) Although it would probably work in a pinch, I wouldn't run it constantly.

My local dealer sells 6 packs of Husky mix (50:1 in one gallon bottles) for around 7 dollars. Sounds like you need to find another dealer that is more reasonable. Another dealer charges around 1.50 (2.6oz) for orange bottle Stihl. Ultra is a great oil, but if you're not running the saw all day long 5 days a week it's not needed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My saw starts on the first pull choked, dies, then off with the choke and another pull and it runs great.
I use whatever oil they have at the local store, get it in six pack.
There is a different way to sharpen the chain for soft and hard woods(least I think there is) maybe that will help with the cutting of pine, mine zips right through them.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts

My oldest daughter has been running my stihl ms 290 since she was 9.I made the mistake of letting her run it one time and half way through the first cut I could tell she felt the power and she's been hooked ever since! Still not bought her own saw yet even though I get asked on a regular basis.

Great saw you've picked out I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 455,best of luck with it!:fing32:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Great saw you've picked out I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 455,best of luck with it!:fing32:
Must not be looking too hard?

You should take the 455 Rancher back, and see if you can “downgrade” to the 450. The 450 is a much better saw!

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts

You should take the 455 Rancher back, and see if you can “downgrade” to the 450. The 450 is a much better saw!
that's my opinion and many others that I have read and I'm sticking to it!!

Guess we will have to let D-DOGG be the final judge on this one as it's his saw!:fing32:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Right out of the “box” the Husky should start very easily for you. It should only take about 2-3 pulls to start it from dry.

As for break in after about 10 hours of use the saw should be “broke in”. If your saw is starting hard before that, it will not get much better.

There is a difference in sharpening for soft wood and hard woods. Most new chains come “set up” for hardwood cutting. For cutting soft woods like pine, the cutters depth is a little steeper. Even with a new or sharp “hardwood chain” the saw should cut through pine like its paper!

You should always use the 50:1 2-cycle mix. For the first 10 hours you should not use the synthetic blend mix. I always go with just a 2.6 ounce bottle for 1 gallon. Even though most mixes have stabilizer already in the mix, I still like to keep the fuel “fresh”.

·
Registered
454 Posts
that's my opinion and many others that I have read and I'm sticking to it!!

Guess we will have to let D-DOGG be the final judge on this one as it's his saw!:fing32:
That is true, but he already did mention that he was not thrilled with the starting of the saw. Then he also mentioned being not too satisfied with the performance compared to the old Poulan when cutting pine.
With the 455 Rancher, you get a lot of extra weight, and not enough performance.

I’m just saying, this saw is not going to get any better. If you are not satisfied with it now or within the first couple days of use, take it back for a cheaper, better saw.

·
Super Moderator
32,637 Posts
I have a Stihl 26 pro and except for the bar length I'm very pleased with it. A friend of mine that had a farm here (moved to Virginia...must be something there!) bought a Husky Rancher and we broke it in on his farm. It cut better than my Stihl did!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use them both again today on a mixture of pine, apple, oak, and maple. Th Husqvarna did seem to start easier than yesterday, perhaps because I am still getting used to it.

There is not a load of weight difference between the two saws. For limbing, the little box store Poulan did just fine. The Rancher is really too long with its 20" bar to be limbing in closer confines.

Now when it came to the big thick hunks of wood, I saw the difference. The Poulan balks at anything over 12" thick, but the Rancher went through it like it was warm butter.

I guess I need to do some research on 2-cycle oils. Yes, I'm still stuck in the '60s. I grew up using 30wt in outboards, chainsaws, and weed whackers. Even one of those funky green push mowers. I never used anything but 30wt except for those little 2.6 oz bottles that come with a new 2 stroke piece of OPE.

·
John Deere 445
263 Posts

Been looking for a new saw and the 455 Rancher is at the top of my list. Can you pass along the advantages of the 450.
I notice the 450e has smart start what this?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Been looking for a new saw and the 455 Rancher is at the top of my list. Can you pass along the advantages of the 450.
I notice the 450e has smart start what this?
The “e” series saws have spring-assisted starters. Not really that big of a deal, but it does help with starting. With mine when the saws warm you can just slowly pull the cord like drawing back a bow and the saw fires right up.

The 450 is a few cc’s smaller, but the hp output is almost the same on both saws. Both saws have a plastic body & magnesium alloy clutch cover. Being made of the same materials, the 450 is a few pounds lighter. The 450 is a higher revving, more responsive, faster cutting saw. The 450 also has a better anti-vibration system.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I guess I need to do some research on 2-cycle oils. Yes, I'm still stuck in the '60s. I grew up using 30wt in outboards, chainsaws, and weed whackers. Even one of those funky green push mowers. I never used anything but 30wt except for those little 2.6 oz bottles that come with a new 2 stroke piece of OPE.
I did some research on here and on the web and I have switched to this Opti 2 2 cycle oil. Seems to work really good!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts