My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a late 60's Ford 4000. When I got it home I decided the best way to test the old girl out would be to hook up the bushhog and do a little cutting on the 100* afternoon.

Everything went fine for about an hour or so .....

It started popping through the exhaust every once in a while .... then it seemed to have lost a cylinder. It wouldnt hardly idle and had no power. It looked as though raw fuel was coming out the exhaust stack.

I took it to the house and let it sit overnight.

I was afraid of a head/valve problem but this morning it started up and ran fine.

I did some reading last night and thought it might be an injector so this morning I cracked the number 2 injector line while it was running to see if there was any air in the line ..... and it appeared there was. I let run with the line cracked for several seconds and a bubbly mixture kept coming out. The tractor ran noticeably worse with the line cracked but it would still idle.

So, I moved to the number one cylinder ... as soon as I cracked the line a stream of fuel came out and the tractor about died. Same thing with number 1 cylinder ..... stream of fuel and the tractor wanted to die unless I idled it up.

So, went back to number 2 cylinder ..... still a foamy mix of air and diesel. Tractor runs worse with the line cracked but nothing like the other 2 cylinders.

I took the tractor for a 10 mile road trip and it seemed to run ok .... but I still noticed a pop through the exhaust every once in a while and there seems to be a lot of fuel coming out the exhaust.

Do I have a bad injector? Is it possible for air from the combustion chamber to make its way back through the injector causing the foamy mix I am seeing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im almost positive it is a bad injector now .... I pulled the number 2 and number 3 injectors out and swapped them.

The original problem that was happening on number 2 has followed that injector to number 3.

I have done some web searching and am getting conflicting information on which part number I need. It is a 65-75 Ford 4000 diesel with a SIMMS injector pump. Do I need a D0NN-9F593A injector?

Also, it was pretty nasty in the injector holes .... are there any tips to cleaning that area out? I tried my best to wipe away any loose debri with a paper towel while trying not to let it fall into the combustion chamber.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
While you're at it, take all three to a diesel injections shop and have them tested and possibly re-tipped. Your bad injector probably has a broken spring and is spraying too early, and could allow combustion pressure back into the fuel line.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having all 3 tested it turned out to be a piece of trash in one of the injectors.

At first they said all tested good .... after talking to them and describing exactly the types of problems I was having they wanted to test them again.

One showed fuel leakage around 1900psi and breaking open around 2600psi.

They took that injector apart and found the debri.

Tractor runs much better now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts