My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently bought a 1949 Farmall C, and have a question regarding the Transmission/Rear end.

Can anyone tell me what fluid to run in the rear end/transmission of my Farmall C? The trans feels kind of noisy when driving, and grinds going into gear, and the guy down the street thinks it could have the wrong trans fluid in it, or not enough fluid in it. So tomorrow I'd like to check the fluid, and flush it out with the correct weight.

Also where is the drain plug on it? I took a quick glance under it tonight and didn't see a drain plug at the bottom like my H has, but there's a lot of grease under it, so I suspose there could be one under there.

Finally, what could cause clutch chatter? When I take off in third, or reverse, it seems to shutter really bad.

Thanks!!

Here she is, rusty as can be! Hopefully she'll be shining bright red before long.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
With the gear grinding and shuddering, it sounds like your clutch needs either adjusting or replacing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I bought some SAE 85W90 today for the trans, it was about bone dry, I'm sure all the seals caused it to leak out. Hopefully the new 4-3/4 gallons will last a little bit until I can replace all the seals this winter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I cut that big *** bracket down on the front that holds the hydraulic pump on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks somewhat home made, but I'm not positive. I actually have the tractor tore apart for a paint job right now, so I can take some pictures if you want. It looks like there was a hand crank that the end was cut off of, and then there's a rubber bushing U joint that connects the pump to the hand crank piece.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
That is a nice tractor, I grew up on one of those, she will do anything you ask of her from general farming, to light to medium logging, and everything in between. My Grandpa swore by his for many years.

His rear end always kinda had a whine in it, especially in road gear, and it was easy to grind when changing gears, I quickly learned how to avoid that and developed the same "touch" with it that Grandpa had.

Man that thing was just about unstoppable. 365 days a year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd like to see some more shots of that hydro setup, esp. how it's connected.

I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the crank, but man, that's a cool way to do it.

I thought the '49 C already had hydro? Was the original setup not up to the capacity you needed?

·
Newbee Puller
12 Posts
there is a little square plug, on the right rear of the tractor just below the seat platform , just forward of the belt pully.

take out this plug, and add oil. when oil runs out, it's full. it will take about 5 gallons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts