My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Father of 8!LordHelp'sMe!
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, bought me-self (actually the wife had something to do with it), a used boat. Oh yes, and everything that it implies, WORK.

I got it for a good price, but as you suspect, it doesn't run.

The first thing I've noticed, it DOES turn over, but with being on for just a few seconds, the carb overfilled with gas, and it ran onto the intake manifold. Of cource I didn't try and start it, just wanted to see if the trim worked.

Do you guys think this would be a carb problem, or a pressure regulator problem??

For some background info, its a 1987 Seaswirl, with a 4.3L engine, Rochester 2 barrel carb.

Now, I don't know much about boats....maybe even less.
I wouldn't mind some help is you folks have a few ideas! ;)

·
16,808 Posts
Only thing I know is--I'd have to sleep in tghe workshop for a LONG time....:banghead3

·
Banned
2 Posts
OK folks, bought me-self (actually the wife had something to do with it), a used boat. Oh yes, and everything that it implies, WORK.

I got it for a good price, but as you suspect, it doesn't run.

The first thing I've noticed, it DOES turn over, but with being on for just a few seconds, the carb overfilled with gas, and it ran onto the intake manifold. Of cource I didn't try and start it, just wanted to see if the trim worked.

Do you guys think this would be a carb problem, or a pressure regulator problem??

For some background info, its a 1987 Seaswirl, with a 4.3L engine, Rochester 2 barrel carb.

Now, I don't know much about boats....maybe even less.
I wouldn't mind some help is you folks have a few ideas! ;)

to me it sounds like the float is stuck open dose it have an electric fuel pump or a mechanical...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'd agree that the float is stuck open - not too surprised really if it has sat for a while.

Exploratory carb surgery is in order.

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys! Sounds like some good answers.

Thought it was the float too, so I tapped on the carb lightly with a small hammer hoping it would "un-stick".

Yep, the engine has an electric pump in line for fuel delivery.

The engine/boat has been in storage for the winter, the folks that sold it to us just don't use it so much any more, they had it out only three times last year, which has been about average for them I think.

Been winterized by a shop evey year, but its still 20+ years old....just needs some tlc I'm hoping. ;)

PS-was thinking of just buying a carb re-build kit and going from there, what do you guys think???

·
Banned
2 Posts
Thanks Guys! Sounds like some good answers.

Thought it was the float too, so I tapped on the carb lightly with a small hammer hoping it would "un-stick".

Yep, the engine has an electric pump in line for fuel delivery.

The engine/boat has been in storage for the winter, the folks that sold it to us just don't use it so much any more, they had it out only three times last year, which has been about average for them I think.

Been winterized by a shop evey year, but its still 20+ years old....just needs some tlc I'm hoping. ;)

PS-was thinking of just buying a carb re-build kit and going from there, what do you guys think???

those rodchesters can be a pain in the a$$ to rebuild...Me myself would go buy a reconditioned one or an after market one ..you can buy them pretty cheap

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
those rodchesters can be a pain in the a$$ to rebuild...Me myself would go buy a reconditioned one or an after market one ..you can buy them pretty cheap
Now this is where I have a little expertise I've had many of these over the years and Roughrider is correct just swap it out with a rebuilt unit and call it good.

And RR your right they are a pain it the butt especially if you don't have a hot tank to clean the carb body, one clogged fuel circuit and it doesen't matter how many rebuild kit you put in it will never be right or reliable and thats one thing you need in a boat !

Cant call AAA towing in a boat.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Now this is where I have a little expertise I've had many of these over the years and Roughrider is correct just swap it out with a rebuilt unit and call it good.

And RR your right they are a pain it the butt especially if you don't have a hot tank to clean the carb body, one clogged fuel circuit and it doesen't matter how many rebuild kit you put in it will never be right or reliable and thats one thing you need in a boat !

Cant call AAA towing in a boat.

yes i have tried to rebuild those *** bog a jets ..I hate them so much i beat one off my 73 nova with a hammer after i rebuilt it twice ...went and bought a 600 holly never had a prob again lol

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
yes i have tried to rebuild those *** bog a jets ..I hate them so much i beat one off my 73 nova with a hammer after i rebuilt it twice ...went and bought a 600 holly never had a prob again lol
I know your pain RR I had a Rochester Quadrajunk aka (Quadrajet) on my 67 Olds Cutlass and it gave me fits so I change it out for a Holly 750 Double Pumper and never had a problem again.

Don't get me wrong they work great for the first 4 years of service then they start going downhill from there, the most common problem the thermal choke coil.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
BOAT...A hole in the water that one pours copious amounts of money.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
The 2 happiest days of a boat owners life. The day they buy it and the day they sell it...well, you've experienced one of them thus far...:sidelaugh

·
Banned
2 Posts
I know your pain RR I had a Rochester Quadrajunk aka (Quadrajet) on my 67 Olds Cutlass and it gave me fits so I change it out for a Holly 750 Double Pumper and never had a problem again.

Don't get me wrong they work great for the first 4 years of service then they start going downhill from there, the most common problem the thermal choke coil.

yes they do work great for the first while ..My dad swears by them why i dont know ...I take all the ones i get off and swap them out and give them to him lol he has about 7 of them now ..He can have them lol

·
Super Moderator
32,157 Posts
What drive is on it? is it a Mercruser??

As everyone says... carb is crudded up. If it was me, I would also get a reman one. You REALY dont want gas leaking on a boat!!!!!!!!!! Also do NOT use a auto carb on it. use one made for boats only.

·
Administrator
12,689 Posts
Edelbrock makes new carbs for marine use and it costs about the same as a reman, if not less. Being yours is a 2 barrel I'm not sure they make one but check their web site, look around at Holley also. You may find a new one for the same money. Member Fisha put a Reman Quadrajet for big money on his old Sea Ray and it was a bust, it didn't do any better than the crudded up old carb. Good luck!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Edelbrock makes new carbs for marine use and it costs about the same as a reman, if not less. Being yours is a 2 barrel I'm not sure they make one but check their web site, look around at Holley also. You may find a new one for the same money. Member Fisha put a Reman Quadrajet for big money on his old Sea Ray and it was a bust, it didn't do any better than the crudded up old carb. Good luck!
Now this sounds like a winner BOSOX. :fing32:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
yes they do work great for the first while ..My dad swears by them why i dont know ...I take all the ones i get off and swap them out and give them to him lol he has about 7 of them now ..He can have them lol
He he he talk about passing on your problems ! :sidelaugh

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its an OMC Cobra 4.3L V6, GMC stern drive. Carb is a Rochester 17085008 2brl.

What I noticed today, at first I thought the engine was siezed up, but what I learned the carb was dumping gas into the cylinders, and one was completely full.

Pulled the spark plugs to learn this, and emptied the gas out. Then pulled the top off of the carb to check the float, it seemed fine, even blew some air down the intake to be sure it would shut off, and it did, but that still doesn't ensure the float hight is right. Pulled the jets, and they were all in good shape, and very surprisingly clean.

Checked the oil, as of yet there wasn't any gas in it, left the plugs out for the night to help any residue to evaporate. Then ran what was left of LAST YEARS GAS! into a tank. Yep, thats right, gas was old, and what wasn't yellow, was clear, and didn't quite smell as gas should.

Emptied the tank, and bought some expensive Sta-bil Marine stabilizer.

Just hoping I don't have to buy a carb....talk about expensive for such a whimpy little thing.

Can anyone tell me what is the differance between a Marine carb and a regular on-the-road carb???

Thanks again guys for all the help! I sure appreciate it.

·
Banned
2 Posts
He he he talk about passing on your problems ! :sidelaugh

LOL No S*#t eh he can have them he he he ..when i bought my 75 ELcamino it came with a Puke a jet carb i didnt even have the car 5 min and i took the carb off and gave it to him it has a 650 holly on it now it loves it lol

1 - 20 of 70 Posts