My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a short rode trip picked a 54" blade in fairly decent shape. The angling cyl has some rust on it, should I be worried about it ? The guy I bought it from says I can try it for 7 days and if it leaks he will refund my money. I paid 275.00 hope it do'nt leak

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd say you did pretty good!!! :trink40: I think you should be able to clean the rust up with some emery (sp?) cloth if it isn't too heavy.. I've did it before and it seems to do pretty well.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Try polishing the ram up with a little steel wool then examine for pits.

Don't see how you can go wrong with a 7 day money back guarantee.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try polishing the ram up with a little steel wool then examine for pits.

Don't see how you can go wrong with a 7 day money back guarantee.
That is what I was thinking I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try try the steel wool give it some time to warm up in the shop. It is -17 C here.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
First a Cozy cab, now a blade ,you're ready for our Saskatchewan winters.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
That's a steal! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You stole that thing. If the cylinders are toast Alan, who goes by Alan in Vermont on here, rebuilds them or did. Not sure how quick his turn around time is since you are probably in need of them sooner or later. If if they leak a little I would keep it and run it through the winter then get them rebuilt or replaced next spring. That is a nice score.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That is what I was thinking I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try try the steel wool give it some time to warm up in the shop. It is -17 C here.
If it's pitted badly, but you decide to keep the blade, Alan in Vermont can easily repair those.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Should be OK Sasky both cyl. on mine were pitted and they both weep a little but not enough where you need to add much oil to the trans only a small amount a couple times through the winter. Get them as smooth as you can with emery so as not to cut the seal when it goes in past that part. I have since picked up two nice used cyl. on the cheap and will keep them on the shelf for when I really need them. BILL

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Good price for a 54, just be sure to clean the clinder shafts with emery cloth or steel wool before retracting them! I make it a point to store mine retracted. ~~ grnspot

·
Super Moderator
33,775 Posts
Great deal for a 4 way blade! Look on eBay for the cylinder, sometimes you can find them in good shape for about $50.00!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link to the cyl I hope I don't need to buy new ones.
And that cozy cab was sure nice yesterday blowing snow for two hrs.
I can't believe how much power that 318 has with a 49 snow-blower. If you
keep the blower full it really tosses snow .

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Your welcome Sasky , You got that blade at a great price, Can't tell from the photo's how much wear is on the blade edge, you want to make sure your not worn down to the moldboard itself ! So many either never look or care . If you add a rubber edge then you will never wear any steel it will clean off the pavement better and do it without any noise!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone point me to a source or info on a rubber edge for one? I picked one up a couple months ago and have pushed some dirt around so far. Hey, Aksarben... I got it off Craigs List in Blair after getting my first LT (a 318) off CL in Waverly a couple weeks earlier. In retrospect, I should have also taken the 317 that was attached to the blade but the seller couldn't get it started and I didn't think I wanted the project right then. I'm in Lincoln and just got an acreage between Crete & Wilber.

·
The owners manual
1,570 Posts
Sasky; I would not use steel wool for that will leave very small piece of steel which will rust, instead I would suggest get yourself a couple of different grits of Scotch Brite pads.

Dick

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sasky; I would not use steel wool for that will leave very small piece of steel which will rust, instead I would suggest get yourself a couple of different grits of Scotch Brite pads.

Dick
Thanks JRJ I think I have a couple left from my last paint job.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Can anyone point me to a source or info on a rubber edge for one? I picked one up a couple months ago and have pushed some dirt around so far. Hey, Aksarben... I got it off Craigs List in Blair after getting my first LT (a 318) off CL in Waverly a couple weeks earlier. In retrospect, I should have also taken the 317 that was attached to the blade but the seller couldn't get it started and I didn't think I wanted the project right then. I'm in Lincoln and just got an acreage between Crete & Wilber.
http://www.plowrubber.com/ makes them custom to each plow. They are 6" tall so you can flip them over to use the other side and are 1" thick so fairly sturdy (possibly twice as thick as the Deere one) and about the same price.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice score Sasky, where in Sask are you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts