My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge yesterday and bought a nice 1979 646. I have taken to searching the local craigslist for "Case Tractor" for poorly listed garden tractors and stumbled across this one listed about an hour away from me. After thinking about it for a day (and getting aproval from the Finance Department) I called on it last Thursday after work. After speaking with the owner I decided it sounded like a sound tractor. Due to the holiday weekend I couldn't go see it until last night (Tuesday). Boy, that made for a LONG weekend! Anyway, went down last night after work, took a trailer and cash, and brought it home.

The tractor still has original paint and decals and tires. The rear tires are wore down quite a bit and weather checked, but I plan to install a set of R4 skid steer tires right away. It has the rear pto valve (looks like it has never been hooked to anything) and came with a J46 deck and 2 mule drives. The bucket needs a new cutting edge. The TCV needs some adjustment but the banna plate looks ok. This is my first Onan engine so I will probably be asking lots of questions down the road. It fires right up cold or hot but seems to be running really rich, to the point it stinks. It has a new muffler (the correct 646 muffler).

Now I own one of each of the hundred series, a 222, a 444, and a 646. The 222 is non functional and just for parts, but my first was a 224 Ingersoll that got me started into Case GTs. I sold it once I got the 444. Now the 444 will handle the mowing, snowblowing, and rototilling, and the 646 will get the dirt moving, lifting, and trailer towing duties.

I have to share on more thing. My dad had both a 644 loader and a 646 backhoe when I was a young kid. One of my few memories of the 644 is riding around the yard on the weight box. I told my 6 year old son about that and took him along to get my 646. He was beyond excited when we first got there because the weight box was empty and he could stand right in it! Made my day.

Anyway, here are some pics from the craigslist ad. It was too dark by the time I got home last night to take any new ones.

Enjoy.

Attachments

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it out last night and played with it some. I have an area in the woods where my neighbor and I dump our grass clippings and leaves, and I pushed the piles back so we have room to turn around with the lawn sweepers again, pushed some larger brush piles back, and even popped a small stump out. It doesn't have any problems spinning the tires in low (no ballast in the weight box, no wheel weights, tires are not loaded). My new R4 tires are suppose to be here today and when I change them I will load them with RV antifreeze. I also plan to check with some of the local farmers for some 15" wheel weights.

I have not decided yet what I want to put in the box for ballast. I want it to be easy to remove. Was thinking of casting some concrete slabs with handles that would sit side by side in the box. Anyone have any thoughts?

Only found 2 issues so far. #1 is a minor oil leak on the engine, seems to be around the base of the intake manifold on the side with the dipstick (right hand side). I will study the onan manual to see what may be the source. #2 is that the base end of the implement lift cylinder is not attached to anything. This is not a critical isssue for me at this point but I will fix it in the future.

Just out of curiosity, what did the "series B" signifiy that I see on some 646's? My serial number is 9772006 which seems to be very near the end of 646 production. Think I just answered my own question. Looks like the Series B is the for the units with the backhoe.

Thanks,
Patrick

· Ingersoll Dealer
2,551 Posts
For the weight box, concrete is actually quite light. You really want steel bar or cast iron in the weight box. Pieces at 40-60 lbs are generally not too hard to handle. I've got about 500 lbs of tool steel bars that were scrap and cut in pieces that fit nicely in the weight box, at about 35-40 lbs each.

Brian

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ballast idea Brian. I can get worn out cutting edges from work for free and cut them to stack in the box.

My new Power King Rim Guard HD tires arrived yesterday. I wanted to get Carlise Trac Cheifs but my commercial tire guy really steered me towards these saying they last much longer on skid steers. These were also over $100 less for the pair. Without haggling his price matched the cheapest online price with shipping, and he delivered them to me at work.

Funny how many jobs I am thinking up for it already...

· Registered
208 Posts
I have a 646B, the serial number tag is missing, I read some where that the serial number is also stamped near the front axle, but I have never be able to locate it. I would like to know where it is located? If someone with a 646 can confer that this is true I would appreciate it.

Thanks

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I found the source for it running rich. It had a bad plug wire and the right hand cylinder wasn't firing. Replaced that a regapped the plugs and now it really has some pushing power! 125 psi and 130 psi on a compression test. The gasket on the dipstick is bad, so it will suck oil into the air cleaner once it warms up. I plan to make a new cork gasket this weekend. Pushing down on the dipstick while the engine is running cuts down the air exiting the crankcase breather by over 75%. This is the cause of the oil leak as well as it is coming out of the dipstick tube. I also found that SSB sells 3/8" x 3" and 1/2" x 3" cutting edges by the inch. I bought 4 1/2 feet of the 1/2" as it was slightly cheaper. After I get that installed I plan to build a 3 point hitch for it as well. Other than the mounting plate, what other differences are there between the 400 and 600 series hitches?

Thanks,
Patrick

· jackthebaptist
196 Posts
I have about 10 old brake rotors in my weight box on my 222 snow machine. They are quite heavy. The box on my 646 is custom-made and filled with what I guess is a mass of melted-down wheel weights. It fits on the 3-pt hitch. Good luck with that machine. I enjoy mine, although it needs the engine replaced. The starter went out and it uses ALOT of oil so I will be changing :thThumbsUto probably a Briggs. The old Onan had alot of grunt!! Anyone have any re-engine ideas? Thanks!! Jack

· Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am stashing away one of the Carrol Stream Yanmar clone air cooled diesel engines as an eventual onan replacement for mine. Even though they are only rated as 10 hp, they produce 19.5 ft/lbs of torque which is more than most of the modern 16 hp gas engines make. I can't find the rating for the Onan ccka torque output. If you search youtube for "case 644 diesel" a video of it comes up.

I dug around my shop and came up with 310 pounds of brake rotors and railroad tie plates for the weight box for now. I also have a bunch of RV antifreeze for the rear tires. Rim guard is great until you have to dismount a tire, then it is a mess. Ran it in all the Kubotas at my last job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.