My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove almost 6 hours round trip today to look at and buy a 1978 446.

Tractor is a little rough but has been reasonably well maintained. Has a rebuilt starter and carb, new rear tires, new tie rod ends. I think the fuel pump might be toast as it only stays running when I've drizzled a little gas in the carb.

Along with the tractor I got a mowing deck, snowcaster, and plow. He also had a full cab with it. I'm more than likely going to sell the cab so if anyone wants it speak up.

I plan on tearing this down and giving it a full paint job with new decals as soon as I can get it running consistently.

Heres a few pics.

Obligatory pic at the gas station before I got going this morning.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice find. slkpk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good find! Mine was in about the same shape, but the hyrraulic pump was week, although it did have a new 18 hp. onan. It has been painted and decals ordered today. Pump installed over the week end. Garden was tilled, lawn mowed. It's a work horse. You will love it. Very enjoyable to restore. Good luck. Plenty of information on here and help. Bruce C.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update to my thread.

The old 446 has come a looooong way in the past couple weeks. The night I brought it home it wouldn't even turn over. Now it fires right up with the turn of the key.

Things that I've done to date.

Installed new electric fuel pump
Rebuilt carb (thanks Brian H)
New points
New condenser
Pressure washed 30 years of grease/oil from it
New front tires
New starter
New battery
New air filter
All fluids changed
New seat
Re-wired 90% of it
Cleaned out the deck and installed new belt
New plugs
New wires

Here's some pics because who doesn't like pics. :trink39:

What the deck looked like when I removed the service cover.

Shot of my electric fuel pump setup.

New front tires.

all put back together.

New seat.

Got the deck on. Not an easy task if you've never put one on before. I have to take it back off to sharpen all of the blades. :banghead3

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2 quarts of power red paint came in the mail yesterday. Just waiting on the graphics and the whole thing is getting painted including the deck and snowcaster.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Coming along nicely ! Wouldn`t it be easier to jack it up and unbolt the blades for sharpening, rather than remove the entire deck?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry to break it to ya, but painting it is gonna be way more work than everything you have done so far, and then some. One the other hand , when its all done, its fabulous!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not going to be that bad. I have a full shop that I've painted cars in before.

I only plan on removing the fenders, hood and a few other things to paint. It's not going to be stripped to the frame or anything.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice looking tractor.i have one also.do you still have the cab?if so,how much?keep up the good work.
Yeah I still have it. $400 is what I want for it or I'm going to keep it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No not yet. The rears will be coming off when I paint the tractor itself in the next few weeks. I was getting sick of looking at the beat up old wheels. :trink39:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts