My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw it online and went to see it and that's it. It was $2700 and was in hock to a pawn shop. The guy stopped paying on it so I bought it. It has 197 hours on it but there are a few issues. Of course it needs a new seat! It also needs to be buffed out from front to rear. All the nuts and bolts are still nice and gold. It has a 54-inch deck that is in great shape with no rust. It does have a surge but I think with a bottle of Seafoam it might clear up. If not, off comes the carb. It's a good price for it but I sure wish it was a 540! Without the PS it is a little heavy to steer around shrubs and obstacles. I do not plan to sell if this season but will wait until next Spring. My next purchase is an X465 that is a good days drive there and back.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I believe the X520 was made until 2008 or 2009.
Without power steering, could be an X500 or X570?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it was 2006 to 2011 and I made a typo. It should have been 2006. The hours were so low I had to run it until the hour meter clicked over to make sure it still worked.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I figured it was something like that!
Good luck with it.
It certainly is low hours!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
I saw it online and went to see it and that's it. It was $2700 and was in hock to a pawn shop. The guy stopped paying on it so I bought it. It has 197 hours on it but there are a few issues. Of course it needs a new seat! It also needs to be buffed out from front to rear. All the nuts and bolts are still nice and gold. It has a 54-inch deck that is in great shape with no rust. It does have a surge but I think with a bottle of Seafoam it might clear up. If not, off comes the carb. It's a good price for it but I sure wish it was a 540! Without the PS it is a little heavy to steer around shrubs and obstacles. I do not plan to sell if this season but will wait until next Spring. My next purchase is an X465 that is a good days drive there and back.
Buff out the finish and put a new seat on it and you should be able to sell it for a profit. Do the non-power steering models use the same style sector and pinion setup the older GT series had (GT225/235, etc.)? I always thought that my GT235 had fairly easy steering for a non-powered setup.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already started to buff out the green stuff and it looks like new. Very few scratches and no dents on the fender. I'm so used to PS that almost anything feels heavy to me but this has that same over link system where the turning force is on a short lever arm that makes it easier then the old straight shaft and tie rod setup. I don't mind the foot operated deck lift but no PS is a killer for me. It's like using a power nailer and then going back to a hammer!

·
Administrator
20,796 Posts
There was a few articles on here a while ago called "Poor Man's Power Steering". Fairly easy install but not sure if it would work on your machine or not. Had to do with some small needle bearings that were installed on the bottom of the spindles. Looked interesting! Sounds like you got a nice machine for the price. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today was a good day! I met with two different guys in a different city and both of them brought me their JD's for sale. One was a GX335 and one a GX345. The 335 looked brand new and the 345 didn't but it will when I am finished with it. Both had less than 500 hours on them. Both have 54-inch decks and they both had original seats with no rips or cracks! They will be on my selling list next Spring. I have four now and it should be an interesting May 2020. GX355, GX345, GX335 and an X520.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who would believe that six inches could make this much difference! Every time I buy a new tractor it has a 54-inch deck on it and the doors to my workshop are 48-inches wide! That means that I have to take these heavy decks off, drive the tractor in and then hand pull the big deck into my shop. To get them all in for the Winter, I have to find a place for the big decks to store without taking up a lot of floor space. The newer decks with the round scalp wheel posts are not bad because they roll ok. But the older style with the flat post are just plain mean! Also the new GX345 has a PowerFlo two bagger on it and all of that junk has to be hand carried. I'm trying to think of a way to stack them vertically side by side but without the lifting motion. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Make some dollies with caster wheels that will hold the decks vertically. Minimizes the space they take up, and makes it easier to move (assuming you have a flat floor like plywood or concrete).

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was changing out the air filter and tidying up the engine bay when I noticed a wire with a frayed end just behind the filter. I traced the arc of it and found that it belong to the other coil on the flywheel that produces the voltage for the circuit. It turned out that a rat had chewed through it and had built a nest behind the filter box and the flywheel. The funny thing is that the tractor ran great except at idle where it had a surge. I soldered it and put some shrink wrap on it. That is something that I will remember when I look at the next tractor that has been stored for a while.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need therapy! I took the carb off of the FD731V of the X520 today to get rid of the surging and when I took the bowl off of the main body there was a small, about 3/4-inch long, compression spring with a diameter of about a pencil lead. I cleaned all the jets out and the gunk in the bowl and then figured I would figure out where the spring went when I put it back together. Every hole in the carb was accounted for by a part on the other half. There was no place to put the spring! So I went on line to see if I could figure out where I messed up and the diagram didn't have a spring in it! I put it back on the tractor and it runs fine now but where did this little spring come from? Here is the diagram of the carb. See if any of you can find the spring. I am sure that this carb has never been opened up before me so how did this spring get there? BTW, the bowl is in the lower right corner of the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just realized that I have the models in sequence. I have a a GX 335, GX 345, GX 355 and the odd one the X 520. The only thing that was sub par on the 520 was where the rat made his home. I had to clean it out and then de-rust a lot of the steel in the area.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are the pictures of the the new tractors with the X 520 the closest. As you can see not too much room in the basement for three. I also took a picture of the GX 345's deck that I am repainting in the areas that had some powder coating separation. I figured out that if I only do one end at the time it is much easier and the joining line between the two ends in directly under the tractor so it is never obvious. It is so much easier to only have to prepare one end at the time. You can see the hydraulic table I bought from an appliance repair shop that lifts 2,000 pounds up to 48 inches. It is a back save! That orange thing on the floor in the back ground is the foot operated up/down pedals.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Actually it was 2006 to 2011 and I made a typo. It should have been 2006. The hours were so low I had to run it until the hour meter clicked over to make sure it still worked.
The X520 was actually In production from 2006 thru the 2008 model year Though It was still listed By Deere on the website Until Fall 2009 do to a High Volume Of Unsold X520's. In fall 2009 the X530 was Introduced as a 2010 Model Year tractor:thThumbsU

1 - 15 of 15 Posts