My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last summer I had worked on a gentlemen's Pro 8 at work. Found out he lived up the road ( 10 miles away perhaps). And he had some older stuff he wanted to get rid of. Exchanged numbers when he got the stuff out he would call. Fast forward a week ago gave me a call that he was gonna sell it all. Him and his wife are moveing down to WV to be closer to his daughter. And anything not gotten rid of would go threw an auction.

Made an offer, he countered and we came to an agreement on $600 for everything. I knew the pro was a good solid tractor. Then the fun part loading it. Trailer winch is a life saver!
It was dusk when I set out for home
Truck bed full
DSC01918.JPG
Trailer load
DSC01943.JPG

DSC01945.JPG
Pro 8 runs decent
DSC01964.JPG
Old style exhaust on the 52, but its locked up
DSC01922.JPG
Flat belt pto
DSC01940.JPG
V belt pto
DSC01941.JPG
Quick hitch parts
DSC01942.JPG
United farm tools 40 inch deck. Only one spindle spins ugh
DSC01960.JPG

Not enough pic room for the next stage of fun. Getting them out back and unloaded. Truck is still full yet as its to wet to move around

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Serial numbers C10A
DSC01926.JPG
59 LI
DSC01929.JPG
87 pro 8
DSC01935.JPG
52 L
DSC01970.JPG
So my plan to get the load out back was the 8163-T project and its 2 inch trailer ball. Went well till the turf tires pun here
DSC01954.JPG
When in doubt call the 818-T, chained up and weighed down, will sound like a plane and push like a train
DSC01955.JPG
Made it outa that jam and promptly ran outa gas here
DSC01958.JPG
Unloading things
DSC01965.JPG
New style deck note gear head. Missing skid shoes
DSC01966.JPG
Everything in the shop
DSC01967.JPG

Trying to figure out how to get the stuff off the truck out back. Thinking another trailer trip, with the 450 perhaps. It has chains is plan a, but hate putting alot weight to the lift hitchs. For next time ........

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Another nice grab Steve!

I'd love to find a UFT deck like that for my 88E :)

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another nice grab Steve!

I'd love to find a UFT deck like that for my 88E :)
And I'd love to have a utf myself to put this on once its fixed....
First thing I decided to tackle was the utf deck.
DSC01978.JPG
With the covers off I see why its locked up for sure
DSC01979.JPG
Yepppppppp
DSC01980.JPG
Dug all that out to find one broken belt and rusted threw spring. Unstuck spindle pretty quick and hit them with grease to force the water out.
DSC01983.JPG
Pull gear head off to heat, beat, repeat to get idler arms moveing. All that is working just need one belt to try it
DSC01987.JPG
Gear head is massive and heavy!
DSC01988.JPG
Started trying to unstick the 52 L. Pulled head, no broken head bolts. But found this with no spark plug, not surprised
DSC01973.JPG
Bore looks ok, but stuck in worst spot all the way down
DSC01975.JPG
Put some oil in and will try again another day. To break it free
DSC01981.JPG
Surprise in the air hose. Not alive ,but you rotten little boogers
DSC01994.JPG

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nice bunch of stuff. Can't read the pic - does the Pro-8 say 6 or 8 lead? Swifty or no?

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice bunch of stuff. Can't read the pic - does the Pro-8 say 6 or 8 lead? Swifty or no?
Long time no hear John.
Its a 6 lead, no swifty. Which is ok by me. On pc should be able to click on pic and make them bigger. Just finally got the truck unloaded this morning. i'll post those pics in a second here.

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will try full images here, see if better or worse.

Finally dry enough to get Big Red into the back yard and back out. Do believe I have every size of rotary plow blades here
DSC01999.JPG

Rotary plows, cultivators, and push cultivator too
DSC02001.JPG

More stuff
DSC02002.JPG

More stuff
DSC02003.JPG

Deck with lead weight
DSC02004.JPG

All mower parts
DSC02005.JPG

Yanny making this all easy priceless
DSC02006.JPG

Going to go out now and see if the c10A will run. I put jump box to starter and turned over last night any how

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Long time no hear John.
Its a 6 lead, no swifty. Which is ok by me. On pc should be able to click on pic and make them bigger. Just finally got the truck unloaded this morning. i'll post those pics in a second here.
Been busy redoing the house but hoping to get back to more Gravely fun eventually. Ah, no Swifty so that makes more sense. Should be a good mowing machine?

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more parts pic of both belt drive setups
DSC02007.JPG

Started into the c10A, bolted up deck. Realized chains hit deck. Take them off before driveing far. Installed a battery from work junk pile.
DSC02009.JPG

While doing that had trans oil draining. And added fresh
DSC02010.JPG

After cleaning the points it ran well but with fuel on gas leaked outa bowel vent.
DSC02011.JPG

Never seen this before!
DSC02019.JPG

So pulled car bowel, needle sealed by pushing up float. Float good and adjust float level.
DSC02020.JPG

After that were in the yard and trucking. Deck isn't to noisy either on just one spindle. I'll grab a belt from work today :D
DSC02022.JPG

52 still stuck every time I go by I play with it. Switched to pb blaster now

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice haul, plenty of toys. Will be difficult to choose between which one to use.....LOL

Keep switching penetrants & use ATF, time and patience required.

RB in RI
Yup that my theory. I may flip the fan shroud up and heat the cylinder up if need be later on. Go out tonight and see what it does. And try putting the other belt on the 884 deck

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok first off, took the head off the 59 to inspect bore and see if the 52 L was the stuck the whole way down. Found out it was 2 inches up in the stroke.
DSC02029.JPG

So I let it sit, ran a hone threw up top, with a pipe wrench on crank pulley, pulling of best got a little captain in me bit. Left foot pushing down, hammer and chisel in hands gave her a few wraps. She broke loose. At first only moveing up and down alittle. Then about a full turn with the bottom of the bore ok. Ran hone threw again and again till it would spin the whole way around.
DSC02030.JPG

Knowing how ugly it would be sure it would have stuck rings. I then pulled cylider. which was still an adventure to get off the piston. Used deep well sockets on stud to space it up and pull it donw out. Has a deep rust pits where the rings were. Did run a hone threw it and cleaned it up alot. But forgot to take a pic
DSC02041.JPG

Boy them sure are some stuck rings
DSC02042.JPG

alright a break threw on belt saga. there not 1/2 inch belts. i know right
DSC02033.JPG

There 3/8th belts. 38 will work. But would recommend a 37 inch belt on these
DSC02035.JPG

All back together
DSC02039.JPG

Pro 8 and C10A hanging out
DSC02040.JPG

Onto the L's

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So decided to put the new style deck on the Pro 8. Only issue found was no skid shoes. Added set from junk deck skin
DSC02051.JPG

Serial numbers
DSC02052.JPG

Old style with retrofit kit, vs new
DSC02053.JPG

Model tag on brush hog
DSC02054.JPG

Retro fit
DSC02056.JPG

The correct hardware
DSC02057.JPG

Good home made studs
DSC02058.JPG

Expertly cataloged with the other one I'll never use
DSC02061.JPG

and new style brush hog on. Now if only it wasn't raining to try it out. Also was going to put the ma 106 on the 59 Li. But found attachment holes are striped in advanced casting. Ugh So I'll get running and see if it worth switching the advanced casting or not
DSC02062.JPG

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So starting into the 59 LI

DSC02070.JPG

First off drained water oil mix from trans. Rust was outa gas tank I was letting drain here
DSC02071.JPG

Gas tank had water in it. Thankfully fuel shut off was off. So removed shut off and let drain
DSC02072.JPG

Then got it running with normal points cleaning and adding oil and oil filter. No need for a carb cleaning. But 3 outa 4 attachment mounting holes were stripped in the advanced casting. Ran it just enough to check function. Great oil pressure
DSC02080.JPG

So pulled that advanced casting off
DSC02081.JPG

Inspected forward clutch cone, looks good
DSC02082.JPG

Another 6 bolt advanced casting on
DSC02085.JPG

3 outa 4 successes. Number 4 maybe turning into abit of a challenge. More on that in another post later on
DSC02086.JPG

Awesome :D on a side note the run flats really do suck, even with chains
DSC02087.JPG

I'll throw up my vids of working on and useing things here in the next post. I don't think I've done the 59 vid yet

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I was reading through this and thought "Steve should have no shortage of advance castings" lol. Looks good.

I've been thinking about putting QH adapter and retrofit kit on my 5240 w/ MA106 just to help keep the MA106 nose down, or put my deck weight on it.

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was reading through this and thought "Steve should have no shortage of advance castings" lol. Looks good.

I've been thinking about putting QH adapter and retrofit kit on my 5240 w/ MA106 just to help keep the MA106 nose down, or put my deck weight on it.
I don't have any trouble with my 5240 and the quick hitch. Which I really love that tractor. This was a shot up at are park. We were brush hogging a field for the over flow parking for my local tractor club show. Had my 41 9N, 5240 was on trim duty, and a buddies farmall super C. My high powered 9 was double timeing the super c with a bigger deck on my 9 lol. Wish I would have took some video of that

DSC00552.JPG

DSC00553.JPG

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So as update to the 52 L I have good news and bad news
DSC02066.JPG
Found out it was a standard bore, honed out and put it back together with another piston, restaked mag shaft ect
DSC02092.JPG
Mag was locked up. Even after getting it moving I only had arcing at the points. So swapped on another mag and a good carb. She fired up and ran pretty decent once all the oil was burned off the cylinder.
DSC02095.JPG
Heres where the bad comes in. after running it developed 2 oil leaks. One in the rear of the block with a hair line crack
DSC02239.JPG
And another on the trans with what im assuming was freeze damage. also both cam seal were leaking, questionable cylinder................
DSC02240.JPG
With all that said officially made my second parts L ever. But have the pride of knowing that it would run is priceless. In all honesty it could all be welded or brazed. But not for me as I already have a 52 L that runs.
DSC02241.JPG

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
Hey John, It's been a long while since I've been out here on MTF. I've taken on a project during the quarantine to produce a Spotters Guide to Gravely Tractors - something we talked about years ago. I will start up a thread to see if we can get some traction. We lost Glenn Murdoch on April 20, 2020 - one of the most knowledgeable resources on the Model D. I want to do this in his honor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts