My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I diagnosed a fuel leak as being a fuel line. I don't have a heated garage, so I took it in to a shop. They listened patiently to me, then declared it a carburator issue and set off spending my money to fix that. In the mean time, all the fuel leaked out - no more leaking - they declared problem solved, but advised me to get some gas on the way home. Surprise, surprise, surprise - put a gallon of gas in, and the leak reappeared. I recalled working this problem about 5-6 years ago, and went off and found pictures of that mid-summer repair:

That balding pate under there is mine, and with enough grunt, several drops of fuel in my face, and a few new Canadian curse words (for the Bombardier design) I replace a deteriorated grommet where the fuel line enters the plastic tank.
So, today I pulled enough of the skins off this old war horse to snap a picture of more precisely where the leak is, and sure enough, it is the grommet again (there are two, one for primary fuel line, and one for reserve line). This time it is the reserve:

Of course, this old war horse is now 5 years older, and no local dealer stocks parts. That's probably a generic sized grommet, but I would rather have one on hand when I take it out, than take it out, clean it and head to a parts store. So, I found a place and ordered a pair. Now I wait. Do I take it back to the guys who "fixed" my carburator and point to the leak, or gut it out and crawl under again in the cool cool Winter?

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
In a perfect world, they'd refund your money for the carb repair that wasn't needed, and fix this for free.

In the real world, it's a question of whether you have the time and patience to drag the unit back to them, and convince them to fix it without charging you additional money.

I'd probably just buy the parts online and fix it myself at this point.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In this sometimes imperfect world, we did at least get a nice day. I've got the ATV up on car ramps, got the old and obviously wrecked grommet out. It appears it was abused on installation, and this is not the one I replaced before - that was the main fuel line, this is the reserve.

Now, I am hopeful I can get the new one pushed in before the weather turns on me!

·
Super Moderator
26,764 Posts
Remember don't use a torch to make it pliable during the re-installation!!! Or that bald plate may have another look to it!! Oh, and I'd take the photo's to the place that did the carb work and let them know that they missed the leak entirely. See if you can get any $$ back or maybe at least an apology? Don't hold your breath on either though Jere!

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
...DITTO...

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An even less flattering photo of man at work by my dear wife and photographer:

But, after an epic struggle at squeezing hands that have never been considered large, but neither are they petite, nor terribly dextrous any longer, I finally got the new grommet installed.
After a 20 minute ride, and a 20 minute rest, the new grommet, and all surrounds are still dry!

I hope to report over-night success in the morning!

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
Nice job! Any tricks to the installation (other than needing triple-jointed, smaller hands)?

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job! Any tricks to the installation (other than needing triple-jointed, smaller hands)?

Mike
This thing is a clever, or devious design, depending on your perspective. the Grommet that goes through the plastic tank carries the fitting that attaches to the external line on the outside, and to a short pigtail line with a fuel filter on the inside of the tank. the fitting also has a central bulge that makes the grommet even tighter. So, one could put the whole fitting with both ends connected on either side of the grommet and attempt to push that in. An olympic thumb wrestler would have trouble pulling that off. The alternative, is to put the filter on the pigtail, pull the pigtail line through the grommet, and hold it while pressing the grommet into the tank, Then slide the pigtail onto the fitting and push that back through the grommet and continuing to push the fitting into the grommet. Still difficult, but an amatuer thumb wrestler, given an entire afternoon of grunting was able to pull this technique off. Alternatively, I suppose removal of the front end of racks, skins, and frame, followed removal of the gas tank would have afforded better access to apply more leverage. I don't think that would have saved time, and on a 17 year old ATV, too many opportunities to break little plastic skins ears.

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
Makes sense. Only had to read it three times, LOL...

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in service to the purpose for its membership in the fleet here on the summit. Proving it can pull, a load of fresh splits:

If you look really close - you'll see no drips of gasoline under the ATV. If you don't trust your own eyes, Scout will verify.

Now time to put the side skins back on, and declare this episode over!

·
Premium Member
7,986 Posts
Very nice. You know it's a tough job when Jere doesn't even attempt to videotape it...

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts