My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,605 Posts
While these guys have the unenviable job of predicting the future, and often miss the mark, this weekend I must respectfully disagree with your forecast analysis. They have been harping on the Sunday washout here for about a week, and with a complicated weather map to boot. Now of course, since I opened my big mouth tomorrow will be beautiful!
Don't you love how they seem to dwell on the possibility one or both of the weekend days are going to be rainy or snowy,all week long ?..

Nothing like keeping us bummed out all week,thinking our outdoor activities planned for the weekend will be washed or snowed out..:tango_face_sad:

This morning one forecast I watched on tv that said "Tomorrow may have a few hours in the morning with just clouds and drizzle,the heavier rain is due in between 3 pm to 9 pm--so it's not a "total washout"..

I disagree--if I get up tomorrow and see any wet pavement ,the day is useless as far as outdoor activities...no sense in trying to go anywhere or do anything outside.."drizzle" or mist is just as bad as a downpour in my opinion..the temperatures will only be in the 40's to mid 50's,and windy ,and that makes for miserable conditions to be outside..

I may as well forget going to the outdoor flea market tomorrow if it even looks like rain--if they do not cancel it,few if any people will be there selling stuff,and it'd be a waste of fuel to drive 25 miles there,only to probably have it start raining the closer I got to the place its held at..ditto for doing any "yard work"...wet leaves don't blow well or rake up easily,nor do they mulch well if you use the tractor to "mow" them into confetti..

My weather prediction for tomorrow is we'll likely get all of the 1+" of rain they say we may get--only because my roof still hasn't been repaired yet..:(

·
Premium Member
9,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
While these guys have the unenviable job of predicting the future, and often miss the mark, this weekend I must respectfully disagree with your forecast analysis. They have been harping on the Sunday washout here for about a week, and with a complicated weather map to boot. Now of course, since I opened my big mouth tomorrow will be beautiful!
No worries, we were obviously watching different sources. At one point, they were calling for both days to be blowouts in terms of wind and rain, then they made it sound like both days would moderate, then they changed tomorrow to being bad, but only late in the day, then finally they changed it to say the whole day would be a washout.

I had to manage a kids sailing regatta this weekend, so with that responsibility, I really agonize over the forecasts. Rain (without lightning) doesn't really keep us ashore, but heavy wind (greater than 20-25 knots, and/or very gusty wind) does pose a significant safety risk.

I've been to regattas with upwards of seven ambulances lined up at the club to deal with the carnage. I don't want to be the guy who sets that up...

Today was literally the calm before the storm. We had beautiful weather all day long. We canceled for tomorrow before going out this morning...

Mike

2,084 Posts
I just happen to read this on Yahoo.

{Northeast Forecast Prediction}

Despite a few cold spells across the Northeast during autumn, winter's chill won't arrive until at least the end of 2019.
AccuWeather Expert Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said, "I think you're going to see a touch of winter come in in December. But I think its full force will hold out until after the new year."
Once the wintry weather does get underway, an active season will be in store.
"Whether or not it's snowstorms, ice storms or mixed events, I do feel this is going to be an active year for the Northeast," he said.
Above-normal snowfall could be in store for areas from New York City to Boston.
Meanwhile, cities farther south, including Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, will be more likely to get a mix of rain and snow.

You can read more here for other areas of the country.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/accuweathers-2019-2020-us-winter-143928317.html

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,605 Posts
All I know is it is 38 degrees here and damp,rain approaching,and its very chilly in the house--haven't turned the heat on yet,the furnace only heats water until I crank up the thermostat..but with approximately 5-10 gallons left in the oil tank,and no $$$ till Nov. 1st means I will have to fire up the wood stoves tonight..(and all day tomorrow probably)..
It hit 63 here earlier this afternoon,but the house chilled down rapidly soon as it got dark..

I hope they are right about winter & snow taking its time setting in..
I'm in no hurry to deal with snow,cold and the pain it creates..

41 - 46 of 46 Posts