My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of Phase II of my loader build (Phase I was upgraded front spindles). I modeled this weight box off the original Johnson Loader Weight Box. I believe mine is a bit more robust and slightly larger (I cannot confirm since I have never seen in person the Johson Loader version). I used 3/8" x 2-1/2" for the supports and 1/8" plate for the box material. It is 14" cubed so it should hold some considerable weight. Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions. As before, I can provide a print if anyone is interested.

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Cakes, I am coming to CT in July for a cousins wedding shower. Can I come stay with you and play with your absolutley beautiful Bolens? :thThumbsU
That machine is so nice. Because of you, I am looking for a 1050/1220/1225 model. I was gonna fix up my H14, but I really think I am gonna wait and find the model I really want. I already sold my G12, the guy picks it up tomorrow. I love the red parts and the smaller fender on those models. You do super work. What do you do for a living? I can't wait to see your loader.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Really a great job! I hope you don't mind if I model my new weight box on your design.

Doug

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone thanks for the compliments. I really am happy with the way it came out. I am sure it will be used in all seasons as I can use it as a "mini" wheel barrel as well as a weight box.

I prefer the early model tube frames as well with the small rear fenders. I have been debating on whether to get the later model rear tire size (23X10.5x12 instead of the 23x8.5x12 which I have now). Because I like the relationship between the tire and fender I may have to cut it down the center and add a 2" section to keep the same look but have the wider tire. I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to do that.

As far as what I do for a living, I am a Mechanical Engineer for Marlin Firearms. I honestly just started welding about 4 months ago. I purchased my first 110V welder on craigslist.

Anyone please feel free to contact me if you want the print for the weight box. Its a pretty simple design and the more people who copy mine the better...

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
I prefer the early model tube frames as well with the small rear fenders. I have been debating on whether to get the later model rear tire size (23X10.5x12 instead of the 23x8.5x12 which I have now). Because I like the relationship between the tire and fender I may have to cut it down the center and add a 2" section to keep the same look but have the wider tire. I'll keep everyone posted if I decide to do that.

QUOTE]

So are the newer rims wider? I have some rims from a G14 I parted out and am looking at a 1050 with non stock rims. I was just gonna clean up the rims from the G14.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From my research rim size if the same (12" x 7"). Even the backspacing is the same. I actually just purchased a set of rims from a 1556 for my AG tires. Everything is the same. Your G14 should use P/N 1715787 which from my research is the same on a 1050, 1220, and 1225.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Your weight box looks good, I picked up a weight box for a large frame not long ago and posted on it. At first I thought it was for a different model until I took measurements and then mounted it. Do you have to remove a rim to mount that thing though?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliments. The rims to do NOT need to be removed to put this on. I attribute this to having slightly larger mounting pin holes. Once the pins are in the (2) nuts on the rear end will pull it tight. Do not get me wrong it is a tight fit but I can get it on fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Great looking project!!!!

I would be careful loading too much in the box. You may create too much tension on the studs coming out of the rear end. I am only guessing that is where the center bracket connects to. Another thought: are you bolting the outside arms on or do you use clevis pins? The pins would be easier and faster. Another option you may want to look at would be a quick release at the center connection. Then you could dump the load easily.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Very nice fabrication! Your welding looks superb. I like the look of your old Bolens. They are great old tractors, have always wanted one as an uncle had one brand new many years ago. I always liked the Husky.

MU

·
Banned
517 Posts
hmm good design, for mine im going to take steel pipe, phave it sticking out of the tube frame, put a 90 degree angle on both pieces, make it like a loop, then have rebar on my rear attatchment hook up loops, when i did it with half inch rebar, it held 5 good dize cement blocks, when i do it with 1.25 inch pipe, itll hold 5 block with ease. ill have pics posted by november first i hope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts