My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given a Bolens 1600 eliminator non hydro, I replaced the solenoid, circuit breaker connected to the amp meter, ignition, and spark plugs. I turn the key, the amp meter goes down past -20 and nothing happens, wires get hot, starts to smell bad, and I believe the circuit breaker blows. I really have no hypothesis on what's going on. It would be much appreciated if someone could help me out, thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
It sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere. If it happens when you turn the key to start (vs just run), it could also be the starter has shorted internally.

But limit how long you turn the key to make this happen, as you damage the wire insulation due to the heat generated by the wire, and you have to replace more and more of the wiring harness, as well as repair whatever the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds like you have a short,, when this happened back in the day, we would disconnect circuits like starting circuit, the run circuit, the PTO circuit even the charging circuit then put them back in service to find the problem. Then see what can be done to fix problem. My two cents

·
Super Moderator
37,995 Posts
I'd recommend pulling the starter and take it to an auto store for testing. They will normally do this for free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate it guys, I will try everything tomorrow when it's not raining.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I took the starter to get tested and he said it spun but it came back in the system as failed, I ordered a new one and put it in, replaced the circuit breaker again for safe measure, put the clutch in, weight sensor is pushed down, it is in neutral, turn the key and nothing happens whatsoever.

·
makin noise!
364 Posts
I own a dvom
Good. Use it to check if there is power to the starter when the key is turned to "start".
If not, is the starter solenoid/relay clicking when you do? Is power going to the control terminal when you do? If not, are you getting power from the start terminal on the ignition switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good. Use it to check if there is power to the starter when the key is turned to "start".
If not, is the starter solenoid/relay clicking when you do? Is power going to the control terminal when you do? If not, are you getting power from the start terminal on the ignition switch?
When I turn the key to start I hear nothing, I suspect the wiring is bad or I have something connected wrong, I will try to test things and mess with it tomorrow. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts