My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i paid 10 bucks for this puppy and it purrs like a kitten. LOL but it all works but the auger chain is off. Is this rare? I cant find anything about it. I started painting it today after sanding all day yesterday! I am painting the hood and its looking really good!!!!! I will get some pics of it when the resto is done. :thanku: FYI the model numbers are missing all i can read is 01 at the end and the serial is 7918

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
thats a cool looking little blower. looks like something out of robot wars lol.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have seen them before .. not sure how rare they are .. but I would guess there aren't many usable ones around

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has no through rust just surface so it's been used very little and he told me it wasn't used in 7 years but the oil looks freshly changed! It's built like a tank! It's really heavy!!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys i got the hood done so i bought some clear coat to protect it better. Well i let the paint dry for about 2 hours in the sun and i sprayed the clear. well about 5 mins later it crackles!!!!!! WTF! I used the same brand clear as the paint and both enamel gloss! Now i have to sand it down and start again!!!!! :(

·
Rustyj
260 Posts
Could be the metal was too hot when you sprayed the hood. Also, some paints aren't compatible with other paints, which could cause the cracking, as will too heavy a coat.
You should paint in the garage, or outside in the shade! But, not under the trees! Shade, as thrown by the garage, house, barn, etc. And, always get er done and dried before "bug-time"!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was in my shop with the large door open I think it might of been too hot but it only did it on the yellowvpaint and not the white I will sand it down and spray yellow on it and call it good!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well guys i got the hood done so i bought some clear coat to protect it better. Well i let the paint dry for about 2 hours in the sun and i sprayed the clear. well about 5 mins later it crackles!!!!!! WTF! I used the same brand clear as the paint and both enamel gloss! Now i have to sand it down and start again!!!!! :(
Most paints have what is called a "re-coat" window. If you spray before or after that time the solvent in the top layer will mess up the bottom layer and you get the wrinkling. Some of the recoat windows are less than 1 hour, or after 24 hours. But not in between.

Here is some info from the Duplicolor web site
"Q. What is a re-coat window?

A. Re-coat windows apply to enamel paints and refers to the time period during which a second coat maybe applied. After spraying the first coat of an enamel, a second coat must be applied with in 1 – 2 hours or wait 5 days for the coating to cure. The paint may wrinkle or lift when resprayed during this curing period. Lacquers do not have a “re-coat window.” Subsequent coats of Lacquer can be applied over a Lacquer finish without wrinkling or lifting due to a “re-coat window”.
"

Of course other paints may vary. I usually spray the clear at 1 hour for duplicolor, or the next day for paints like Krylon or rustolium.:goodl:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can tell you I spent a fair amount of time behind one of them in the late '60's - early '70's. It was a tough little machine, not much it couldn't handle. Never had a bit of trouble with the auger chain.
I always wished it had reverse, though, but back then, we were just happy not to have to shovel.
Where we lived, it got used at least 4 days out of 7 in the winter.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool its coming along it's hopefully gonna turn out really good

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
From what I can see in the pics, your snowcaster might be the Artic 40 (21" Sno-caster) Model 535. I have a spare parts list for this model, and the parts diagram seems to match.

Doug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts