My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a h14/g14 rolling chassis that I sold the Tec out of. I was think of a repower. Now I know about the 13hp clone repower that Rust and a few others did and it would be fairly cheap to do. But then I was thinking, what about a K series Kohler. Bulletproof, parts still available, gobs of torque, etc etc. Anyone ever repower a Bolens tubeframe with a K series? I am watching a K301A (12 hp) from a Cub on Epay. I am just thinking if I buy the K cheap and spend the money on a good rebuild, I know it is gonna be a good motor in the long haul. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What is a Kohler K series and what makes them "bulletproof" compared to other engines?

I looked on this site which said:
The Kohler Company produced approximately 9160 different variations of the K-Series engines.
http://www.opeengines.com/
And that was a few too many for me to absorb.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The K series were used on Cubs, Deeres, early Bolens before tube frames, Wheelhorse, Case, Ford and probably others in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Where you hear mixed reviews of the Tec OHV design in the G14 (some people love em, some hate em) generally the K series (K241, K301, K341 etc) are well respected all around. They are very popular in GT pulling circles. Cast iron block and I think much more common than the Briggs from the same era.

Kohler is still in business unlike Tecumseh. I don't think the Kohler from a Cub will work for me. The Cub used a direct driveshaft transmission. I was just trying to get some opinions on using a Kohler K from something in a G14 instead of a honda clone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you look in the photo's section - someone put a k341 into a 1250 - looks good, and I'd rather have that in there than one of the new aluminum v-twins. He does mistakenly identify it as being 18hp however - the k341 is only 16hp.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look in the photo's section - someone put a k341 into a 1250 - looks good, and I'd rather have that in there than one of the new aluminum v-twins. He does mistakenly identify it as being 18hp however - the k341 is only 16hp.
Arrgghh :reallymad , where is this pic? I looked in the MTF gallery searching by Bolens, Kohler, 1250 and k341 and nothing came up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My mistake - I was thinking it was here, it's on the "Bolens Yahoo Group" picture gallary. Very nicley done tractor. I tried to cut and past the pictures, but wasn't able to.

If you're a memeber there, it's on the second page in the gallery and the album is called;

A 18hp 1250?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pictures - I wish I could give the credit to the fella, but I don't know him, and simply plagiarized from the other site. He did mention in the write up that he had to adjust the motor height in the cradle by 1/2" to adjust for crank height differences between the Wisconsin and Kohler motors - it was unclear to me from the description which was taller however.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I think that the Kohler pto is higher that the Wisconsin that was in that 1250. I have a 1455 that has a Briggs 16 hp in it and the mounling straps have been modified to let the engine sit lower.
Dave
P.S. I think a K301,K321 or a K341 would be a good repower for your Bolens.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Craig, thanks for postin pics. At least now I know it can be done. Now I need to look for a 12 or 14 hp K motor.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am considering doing a new powerplant in my HT23. The motor in it runs flawlessly, but I really want a diesel. I went and looked at some here locally today. I haven't justified pulling my motor since it runs great and fires on the first crank. It is the K582 if I remember right. It is a 23hp twin cylinder motor.

My goal was to keep the tractor as close to 100% american as possible, and i'm afraid that any repower... gas or other will require me to break that goal.

Any idea what I should ask out of my K582. I don't figure that their are to many of them out there for parts... let alone a complete one that runs like new with all of the stuff to go with it.

Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts