My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got the QT16 back today, running great. However, not the three point hitch will not raise or lower. The hydraulic trans was down three quarts of fluid, something I had not checked yet. We filled it back to the correct level. Now the hitch will work sometimes, and won't work others (more not working than working).

Looking at the lever itself, there seems to be a lot of play in it. Should the lever actually stay locked into float position? I can push it down to float, but when I let go it pops right back up.

Could this just be air in the lines? If so can anyone tell me how to bleed the lines? Or am I potentially looking at a much more severe problem?

Thanks all!

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Hey Strikeone!

WELCOME! Congratulations on your new (to you) QT-16! These really are awesome tractors. I currently have 4 (two running, two for parts) and they are really well-built machines.

Yes, your lift lever should remain in the float position when you select it there. There is a mechanical detent built into the valve to hold it in the float position. You may have a worn detent or a weak spring in your valve.

The QT service manual describes how to disassemble this valve. The manual is available for free download here:

http://www.sonnysbolens.com/manuals/images/Q-Series/552974-2-QSERIES.pdf

Parts should be available from www.samsbolens.com or other suppliers...use the google search.

As far as the state of being "mechanically inclined" goes...just jump right in with both feet and you will soon find that you have become so.

Good luck!

Ted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparently there is a bigger issue.. the thing won't even move now..motor runs great..tractor won't move..any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filled it yesterday..but I think I might have put the wrong stuff in...would that screw it up? Look like I may have an eaton hydro..not a sundstran...which means SAE 20 should have gone in..we put type F tranny fluid in.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
The clogged filter is a possibility. Sundstrand specifies a filter with NO bypass function. This means that in the event that the filter becomes clogged, the flow to the pump will be diminished, but NO dirty fluid will pass the filter and contaminate or damage the sensitive hydrostatic components.

The correct filter for the Sundstrand 15 hydro is the WIX 51410. This is the SAME filter as a NAPA 1410. Of course, you can always order the Bolens OEM filter #1726450, but they are about twice as expensive and your aren't going to walk into your NAPA dealer for that one.

A word of caution for you: The WIX filter look-up page lists the 51410 for the QT17 (1666 with the Kohler engine) but they list a 51307 for the QT16 (1666) with the Onan engine. THIS IS NOT CORRECT! The 51307 is a bypass filter and is clearly not intended to be used on your Sundstrand. You can confirm this by looking up the Bolens part number for both the QT-16 and the QT-17 and you will see that they both call for the 1726450. DO NOT BUY THE 51307 filter or the NAPA 1307.

Here is the link for the Sundstrand (now Sauer-Danfoss) service manual:

http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/stellent/groups/publications/documents/product_literature/bln-9646.pdf

The filter requirement is discussed on page 10. Note: They don't specify a particular part number for your filter...because their hydro is used in MANY different applications and the filter doesn't mount to the hydro anyway...it mounts to the axle on the Bolens.

If the filter and fluid change doesn't help it, let us know and there are folks on this forum who can take you to the next step.

Ted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for posting that. I've been trying to figure out what filter goes on it. I looked on NAPA's site. Looks like there is a 1410 for transmission fluid and a 1410 for hydraulic fluid. I would want the one for the transmission fluid..correct? I see that the book recommends using type F transmission fluid for the hydro.

EDIT: Looking at it again it looks like its the same filter listed twice for two different applications.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No go on the fluid and filter change...when I drained it I did find some small shards of metal. I assume that's bad.

Any idea where I should go with this next?

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
When you say no go on the fluid and filter change, I'm assuming that you mean that you did perform the fluid and filter change but that your transmission is still not functioning.

The Sundstrand manual has a troubleshooting flow chart on page 18. Here are the basic things to check in the order they recommend:

1. First they want you to check all the linkage (from pedal to the hydro)
2. Next is the bypass valve. This is a "T" looking knob on the left side of the hydro near the top. Reach in from the side of the tractor in front of the LR wheel and you'll find it there. Make sure it is turned in clockwise until seated. Do not force it. With all the maintenance you've had done, maybe somebody opened that valve to facilitate moving the machine by hand.
3. Next is to check the charge pressure. Follow the guidance on page 15. You can buy a 1-1000 psi guage for about 10 bucks on ebay. About another 10 at your local hydraulic store for some hose and fittings and you're in business. Don't forget the snubber!

I have to get back to work...let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haven't gotten a chance to get on here for awhile, but just spent some time catching up on all the goings on around here.

The rear end on my QT16 is leaking badly now (I never did get it up and running). I plan on taking it off the tractor to get it opened up and take a look at it.

In the meantime, I found a QT16 repowered with a 14hp Briggs and Stratton in running condition for $150. No attachments..no hitch. My question is, did all QT16's have the same rear end in them? I am considering picking this up and basically using it until I get a chance to look at mine, and potentially swapping this rear end in if necessary.

Also, were all QT16's set up for a three point hitch. In other words, even though this doesn't have it, should I be able to put my hitch on it?

Thanks all.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Yes,

All the QT-16's have the same basic rear axle. There might be some minor changes internally, but any QT-16 axle should swap with any other.

The QT-17's were different in that they went with an Eaton Hydro instead of the Sundstrand 15 in the QT-16.

And, yes, any QT-16 can accomodate a 3-point hitch. The tricky part is finding the rockshaft that goes behind the axle. They are out there, but you have to actively seek them out. I've had 4 QT-16's and I've only ever seen one 3-point rockshaft.

Check out the links in my signature block. I've got a lot of pictures and info about my QT. I'd also be happy to answer any questions you have.

Ted

PS: Here is a picture of the part I'm talking about. It is the horizontal rod with the arms on it behind the axle. The next picture shows the whole 3-point all assembled.

Attachments

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
By the way,

I just did a rear end swap in one of my QT's that I just sold. It is not that bad of a project. Here are a couple of pictures and a short "how-to":

Put jackstands under the frame with the rear wheels just off the ground, less than a 1/4 inch.

DO NOT REMOVE THE WHEELS.

Remove the seat and fender pan. Unbolt the driveshaft, hydraulic lines, brake linkage, and hydro linkage. Open the bypass valve on the left hand side of the hydro about 1/2 turn. (The little "T" handle looking thing). Remove the "U" shaped support for the rear of the fender that connects the two frame rails together.

Note, I'm working from memory here, so I may have forgotten something. Go slow and remove anything that is in your way. Be particularly careful about your hydraulic fittings and your hydro linkage.

Remove the four axle mount bolts from inside the frame rails. The axle should be sitting on the ground but still be resting within the frame rails.
Use a piece of pipe or a tire iron in the trailer hitch (see picture 3) and gently roll the axle out of its position.

Assemble in the reverse order. Voila!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome info sir! Thank you very much for that. I'm going to pick the other one up in the morning..will keep you all posted once I get into it a bit.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Good luck with the project. Keep us posted and don't forget the pictures!

Ted

PS: Where in Maine are you? I used to live in the Laconia / Concord area of NH. I used to fly into Maine a lot.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Howdy StrikeOne,

I have no idea where those places are...I used to fly into Sanford, Portland, Auburn, Brunswick, Bangor, and Bar Harbor. Maine is beautiful and I would live there if the wife would go for it!

Good luck with the QT. Keep us posted!

Ted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its alliiiiive!!

Transaxle is in. I have movement. Hitch appears to be working. Only question now is that there is a "buzzing" sound when I lift and drop the hitch. I don't seem to remember it doing that before. Is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Its hard to explain the noise other than a semi high pitched buzz.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts