My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QaMTbJ8PFc

This is a thermostart system usually found on Perkins and Ford diesels. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if your going to run the machine in the winter. the thermostart ran about 20$ and about 8$ in brass T and hose barbs. i had the relay and wiring in stock.

Watch out winter!

Ill add some pictures later.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
That engine should crank faster than that. I would also get rid of that intake hose, it is not a dust-tight hose.
My HT-20D cranks about the same as his .. even with a fully charged battery, and starts REAL hard when the temp is below 35-40 :banghead3

Looks like a great addition Frank .. I just TRY to keep mine in the heated garage all winter :fing32:

I do still have the complete heater element and cord that came with it from the dealer when new. It did not seem to help much last winter when I tried it.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I have been around and worked on diesels all my life, you have to crank them fast for good starting. If any of you starters have not been rebuilt it may be time to do so.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
This is a thermostart system usually found on Perkins and Ford diesels. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if your going to run the machine in the winter.
Looks like an excellent upgrade to me!

Three of my four Yanmar tractors (all under 25 PTO HP) have thermostart systems factory installed. They're not much different from what you've done to your Bolens :fing32: I think the single, biggest advantage with mine is they all have decompression releases that allow the engine to spin up much faster and aids the flywheel mass RPM and unloads the stress on the starter (and rods/mains at the bottom end).

I use it every single time I start one of the cold tractors...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like an excellent upgrade to me!

Three of my four Yanmar tractors (all under 25 PTO HP) have thermostart systems factory installed. They're not much different from what you've done to your Bolens :fing32: I think the single, biggest advantage with mine is they all have decompression releases that allow the engine to spin up much faster and aids the flywheel mass RPM and unloads the stress on the starter (and rods/mains at the bottom end).

I use it every single time I start one of the cold tractors...
MArk, these engines do have compression releases i just forgot to flip the lever over.

Ken, The motor i got from Jim has the factory cold start your talking about with the cord. Its almost like Bolens planned for a thermostart option with the intake plug.
I would keep them inside but i only have a one car garage full of tools and the 1250 project.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Frank, could you post a pic of the compression release ? Or explain where it is ? I've never noticed it before. And I've had this tractor for about 2 years. :banghead3

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank, could you post a pic of the compression release ? Or explain where it is ? I've never noticed it before. And I've had this tractor for about 2 years. :banghead3
look right behind the intake manifold near the air inlet. there is a little lever with a shaft that runs through the heads just behind the back of the intake manifold. ill get you a picture later today

Some WD2-860 engines have a plug for each cylinder in the intake manifold for cold starting where you would squirt a few drops of oil. you would engage the compression release and crank the motor over. Im guessing this would increase the compression and lubricate the cylinders for cold weather starting. Kind of like checking the rings when doing a compression test.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Definitely interesting. I had never seen that before. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts