My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Breaking it loose can be a real bother . You might see what he offers or just wait for another buyer. Where are you in PA? Maybe someone here would be interested.

I had a diff lock stuck in the out position and had to screw it in; the fix is the same.

The differential lock nut is on the left rear axle. You have to screw it out away from the wheel to unlock the diff. Rotate it counter-clockwise just like a jar lid to unscrew it.

If it is very stiff, try some penetrating oil and let it sit for a day and try again. Also, try a propane torch for a half hour. The big cast iron wing nut will soak up the heat from a little propane torch, so 1/2 hour will not hurt.

Try REALLY hard NOT to hammer on it to loosen it. You can break off a cast iron wing and then it is very hard to remove.

You might fashion some kind of spanner. The nut is 2 inches in diameter. The wings are 1/2 inch thick and either 1/2 or 3/4 inch high, I forget which. You can modify a length of 2 inch diameter iron pipe. Get a section about 6 inches long. Cut 1/2x1/2 inch notches in both ends. One set of notches will fit over the wings. You can put a 1/2 inch thick breaker bar in the other notches.

If it is all the way out against the end of the axle and the diff is still locked, you will have to do something else.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was working on bending some rebar up and making it so i can slide it on the wings then have:banghead3 alot more leverage but my little torch will need some more time to work the rebar. i might try the torch it technique. i also have another small issue and i think it involves the bearings in the deck. i turn the deck on and i feel the tractor lose power and it is very very loud. the local engine shop estimated over 100 bucks to fix the deck so i said the **** with it ill sell it. the snowblower works great and im in hawley PA.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the buyer basically flipped out on me even thought i ahd sent him pictures he said the steering was tough * even thought there was a 100 pound+ snow blower on the front he picked on the littleest things so i said forget it ebcause the 300 he offered me i ahve into it.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
c2h8o thank you very much for your idea, it was stuck so much i did 45 mins with the torch then i did burnouts in reverse, i heard some gears move and it was unlocked. i would have never thought using a blow torch would even be feasable. well time to sell that POS and get me a deere, considering ive wanted a deere since i was about 3 lol.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If I was near Hawley I would definitely consider it. Re-post it on craigslist. Many people think Bolens is wonderful.

'Course the same goes for any brand.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hate to say ti but by hawley, people only seem to love cub cadet and i dont know why. its not like there anythign special, atleast most bolens have diff lock which i like now because i got some free haul your own wood with it hahaha. my neighbor had a tow chain hooked up to his depot-special cub, he killed his rear tires. while i took the wood and the chain while he pushed his tractor away, i think to be nice ill give him his chain back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts