My Tractor Forum banner

Bolens G174 engine knock

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Exracer#2 
#1 ·
Engine knock and smoke

I have a Boles G174 /Iseki TX1500F 4x4 diesel tractor. It's around 18hp. Question #1: can the engine knock be quieted down? I know some tractors have a knock bUT darn this one is loud. Question #2: what are the symptoms if the knock is something to be concerned about? Question #3: when I engage the pto to use the tiller it starts blowing black smoke. What needs adjusting?

#2 ·
Can't comment directly as I have a G172 / TX1500 and mine knocks and it's just what it does. Short of a full rebuild I can't say if it will get better even by doing that.

The black smoke may just be the engine getting worked and slowing slightly resulting in excess fuel / rich mixture. Once again an older motor but nothing too serious.

As far as what constitutes a bad noise you aren't going to get an answer of any value from a forum. It really needs to be heard in person and diagnosed from there. My Iseki/ Bolens makes noise. It's better when warm but still makes noise. As an example I just bought a Kubota and my wife said if I didn't get home before the baby went to sleep it would have to stay on the trailer for the night. I got home unloaded it and my wife said that one is so much quieter than the old one. Old iron may just be noisier or it could be a problem but it isn't something any of us can just diagnose via text.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.