My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a Bolens Husky 1256 with a blown Wisconsin TR-10D. I also have a Bolens G10 1055 with a good running 10hp Briggs engine (unsure of the model number as it has no information on it). I would like to know if anyone has ever done a swap or if they are even swappable without too much tinkering? I see there are 4 pulleys on the 1256 and only 3 on the G10, so I know the pulleys will have to swap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It sounds like both tractors have non original engines. The muffler on that G10 is...umm....interesting... The engine should swap in with little trouble. The biggest thing to check is the crankshaft diameter. because you will need the pulley from the 1256 on the briggs to put it in the 1256. Be careful of the pulley putting it on. They can snap easy (dont ask me how I know :lalala:) If it were me I would be looking at a 10HP DEK diesel, but I don't know what kind of budget you're on.

Jason

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I agree with Jason or restore both and sell one but like Jason said I don't know what kind of budget your on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much for the responses.

I am helping a buddy out with the 1256. Long story as short as possible. He bought the 1256 2 years ago against his wife's wishes. He brought it home and mowed with it twice and blew the engine in it. He had a guy he works with put the used 10hp Wisconsin in it. He used it a few times in the spring and then told me when you engage the deck the engine would stall, when I brought it home I started one morning with I noticed flames coming out between the head and the block and found a crack. Amazingly, it still runs but any kind of load put on it, stalls it out.

I am questioning the exhaust on the G10 as I kind of like it. It is missing the pipe between the muffler and the tailpipe (or in this case the forwardpipe) that is on the front of the mower. This is not a factory set up? Did any Bolens have an exhaust like this?

I am interested in the DEK Diesel as a future transplant. Can you recommend a dealer? Has anyone done one and how hard to swap? Are they bolt-on or do you have to drill the frame etc etc? (My buddy doesn't know I am putting this back together and I don't want to drill the frame without his consent, I bought the G10 this weekend for the engine in hopes it would work without too much fabrication).

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It is not a factory exhaust. It looks like somebody put a different muffler on but left the end of the old muffler hanging there on the support. I will get you the name of the dealer for the diesels when I get home. There was a thread on here about them. It will require drilling out the frame most likely. You may also need different length drive belts. I think the first thing for you is to measure the shaft diameter. If you can fit the pulley on the briggs, then I would say you should go for that.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
If it were me I would be looking at a 10HP DEK diesel, but I don't know what kind of budget you're on.
Have you done such a repower? Inquiring minds want to know.....I have seen them for sale for $400 or so.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Have you done such a repower? Inquiring minds want to know.....I have seen them for sale for $400 or so.
Not yet. I do have a tractor coming in that has a bad engine that might be reciving one though. I don't really have any idea what model it is other than the fact that it is a tube frame hydro.

Jason

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
From swap to re-power

I originally started this thread wanting to do an engine swap but have reconsidered and have some questions about doing a repower.

I saw this old post: http://www.mytractorforum.com/archive/index.php/t-70894.html

Cakes is showing how he did a repower with a 18hp Vanguard engine.

The following may be a stupid question but I want to ask before I do the hour drive and go through all the work.

There are some used Vanguard engines about an hour from me that I want to go look at to see if they will work. The Vanguards are pulled from Cub Cadets. I believe the Cubs are set up with the shaft facing the front of the engine. I would like to know if this engine "fits" will the rotation be the same if I spin it around so the shaft faces the seat? Does the rotation matter since the 1256 is a hydro? Does it affect the blades?

Also, is it possible to tranplant a H-Series engine (H14 or H16) into a 1256? Do any of the H-series have a 4 pulley set-up like the Husky's?

·
jbs1257
451 Posts
most all of the tube frame hydros are pretty identical in design. The only difference between 1256 and 1556, h14, h16 was the 1256 had a wisconsin engine and the others had a tecumseh engine. Wiring will be a little different as well due to different charging systems and starting systems. One other thing is the tecumseh is an over head valve which requires the hole in the hood with the fiberglass dome for clearence. No real problems. They are all 4 pulley systems in the larger tubeframe setups. If you have a donor tractor with the engine the swap is a piece of cake because all parts are interchangable.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
when I brought it home I started one morning with I noticed flames coming out between the head and the block and found a crack.
Where is this crack? If it's between the block and head are you sure it's not just a head gasket? Makes me curious where else it would be coming from.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is this crack? If it's between the block and head are you sure it's not just a head gasket? Makes me curious where else it would be coming from.
The head gasket is definitely bad and the head is cracked. I am not sure if there has been any more internal damage, it has been run for awhile like this. :banghead3

·
Registered
244 Posts
The head gasket is definitely bad and the head is cracked. I am not sure if there has been any more internal damage, it has been run for awhile like this. :banghead3
I would pull the head and take a look, you might get away with a head and a gasket. The block on the Wis. is cast-iron they hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Yeh, what Redyserve said. I'd sure take a look before going to all the trouble of swapping engines.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts