My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this is the start of my Bolens G-14 restoration project and i will just use this thread as a log for all of my pictures/progress.

I have had the entire tractor in pieces for a few weeks now (in about 600 pieces in numerous buckets). I'm waiting till schools over to really get going on the project... but this weekend i decided to remove some of the old paint and rust- even though it was really cold for Memorial Day Weekend. I started with the engine block and a few other random pieces. The only metal hole on the tractor is the one on the rear panel assembly on the first picture. I am not sure how i am going to fill the hole in, but i was thinking cutting a square out covering the hole area and welding a new piece of metal where it was (setting the heat on the welder REALLY low obviously). I used a wire brush on an angle grinder and Zip-strip for all of the paint removal- it worked great!

Here are a few starter pictures of the resto (i'll keep you guys updated on progress):

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some more pics- i started the resto up again as i had been busy for the last few weeks. It was hard work and i got a new heavy duty angle grinder- since the old ******** wore out- and i think i am just gonna do the rest of the paint/rust removal through sandblasting. You can see i did some welding too, its pretty messy as i taught myself how to mig weld, but it will hold nicely and i will clean it up (i just didnt have time tonight) theres one shot of one of the holes from before i tried this fix. By the way, i just set my welder to low heat and although i did have a little evaporation of the metal, it wasnt too much of a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Sanding all that is a huge amount of work, it will look beautiful when you are done.

What type of primer and paint will you use? And I'd like to hear how you blend the colors to get the off white.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Keep us up to date with pictures and progress:wwp:. Once its finished and fired up- you will have a great tractor! That will last another 30+ years:fing02:.
rust

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sanding all that is a huge amount of work, it will look beautiful when you are done.

What type of primer and paint will you use? And I'd like to hear how you blend the colors to get the off white.
The primer will be some Duplicolor self-etching primer and then some standard Duplicolor sandable primer. The white paint isnt actually too tough to match, its just wimbledon white (paint code T205). Then a clear coat to top it off. I still am not sure though what paint type the black is though, i will have to find out but the primer will obviously be the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The primer will be some Duplicolor self-etching primer and then some standard Duplicolor sandable primer. The white paint isnt actually too tough to match, its just wimbledon white (paint code T205). Then a clear coat to top it off. I still am not sure though what paint type the black is though, i will have to find out but the primer will obviously be the same.
By the way, i have to give credit to STUARTSHOMEPC for the paint, he was the one who actually completed a resto of a G-14 and also for the paint scheme. On another note though, i tried out my sandblaster and so far it works great so hopefully soon i can start sandblasting and getting all of the parts ready for paint.

·
Northwest PA Bolens Fan!
315 Posts
Hey 2 Stage!

It looks like you aren't cutting any corners! I can't wait to see it when you are through. I think the G and H model tube frames were some of the best looking tractors around. Although I have been impressed with some of the red and brown-based 1050's I've seen on this forum!

Keep up the good work!

Ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts