My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked all over and haven't found any info on someone re powering a bolens 850, my old Wisconsin is wore slap out and i can afford the down time of rebuilding the original motor so im wondering what i can swap it out with to be able to get it back to making money again, i use it for small grading jobs, pushing gravel and leveling it in small areas, along with many of other duties. also trying to be budget conscious about it to. i love the little thing as it gets into small places that a big machine cant. would like to figure somthing out soon as i have a small job that i have to use it for in a week or so. thanks and hope to here something soon.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Whatever you do it going to require some down time. Its pretty hard to beat a Wisconsin. A repower with a Brigg 18HP is going to take some refit time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have some 10hp Wisconsins, 3 I think, and 2 12hp tecumsehs that are useable. PM me if you are interested. I'm in eastern Ohio, not too far from Indy.

Matt

Oh, and one 850, complete, that I would be more then willing to let go. It is briggs powered. I have not got it in the shop yet to see how good everything works on it. I'd love to send you pictures, but alas, I have dial-up. You might get the picture by January if I started uploading them tonight.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I repowered my tube frame 1225 with an 18HP Briggs Vanguard V-Twin engine. Although not cheap, the benefits in the extra power/torque, ease of starting, and parts availability have far outweighed the decision to find another Wisconsin engine. The install was very easy with very little modification. I had the engine installed and running in (2) weekends mostly because I was waiting for the exhaust system. If you need pictures you can see my photobucket page. Any questions on the retrofit, do not hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am not all that familar with the gear drive tube frames but I am prettyh sure th 850 has the same transmission as the 1050 & 1220. If properly setup and maintained I would be willing to put money that the transmission could hold the extra power.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am not all that familar with the gear drive tube frames but I am prettyh sure th 850 has the same transmission as the 1050 & 1220. If properly setup and maintained I would be willing to put money that the transmission could hold the extra power.
Same shell but no hi/lo gear. It's done with a belt. Internals appear to be the same, at a glance.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what ever i swap onto it will be elctronic ignition for ease of use and maintnace.
what is the original wisconsin S8D output shaft diameter and what newer electronic ignition system have the same shaft. i knew the mounting holes would be different ill take a peice of plate steel and bolt it to the original holes then drill holes in the plate steel for the new motor, and to the guy in ohio thanks but the 850 i have has been modified to fit some of my attachments that i built and it wouldnt be an easy swap to put them on another bolens, i would post pictures of it but im like you i have dial-up where i live,

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well if you get all the parts first it should only take a day or two to clean tear down and reassemble the engine that includes honing it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This guy did a 7hp diesel repower. Maybe you can try getting in touch to ask him some questions about it. I feel that he is a complete idiot for what he did to that poor s8-d, but still. I personally think you would do well to do a diesel repower, plus he said it only took him about 8 hours.

:goodl:

Jason

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
diesel sounds nice and so does a V-twin but im just looking to do a simple swap with a good single cylinder motor. what should i look for to do a swap, i want to keep my original pulleys so what size output shaft should look for. i live in seymour,in so if theres anyone close that has a good motor thats at least 10hp or above and it has electronic ignition let me know, i would rebuild the one thats on it but to be truthful about it i just dont feel like it, id rather have a newer electronic ignition so i dont have to deal with points, condenser,coil etc..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Would a honda clone fit in your budget? I think the original moter is a 1 1/8" crank. You can get a bushing to bring a 1" (probably what you will find a honda clone is) up to the correct diameter. I will see if I can find a link for one, if not, I bet someone else has it.

Jason

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that sounds like it may be a winner, hows the sleeving work that you are talking about. also i forgot to mention that i have a bolens tiller that came with it that i would be willing to trade for a good motor. ill kick my self in the rear for doing it but i need a motor worse than i need a tiller, ill modify an old front tine i have to fit on the rear if i ever need one

·
Registered
403 Posts
13hp honda clone 1 inch keyed shaft W/Eletric start $339.00 free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-13HP-GAS-ENGINE-GO-KART-LOG-SPLITTER-ELECTRIC-START-/170525742747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

13hp honda clone 1 inch keyed shaft W/O Eletric start $289.00 Free Shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-13HP-GAS-ENGINE-GO-KART-LOG-SPLITTER-RECOIL-START-/170525747215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Both are good engines.The only thing you have to watch for when repowering a tube frame is the the width of the mounting holes.If it's to wide like an old Kohler you're gona need to do some Major fab work to make it usable.

Those Honda clones should bolt up to the existing mounting hardware with little to no modification.If your not worried about electric start,the second option I linked to is a great deal.

There's also 10hp Diesel YANMAR L100AE-DE Clone engines for $615.00 Shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10HP-Diesel-Engine-Electric-Start-Tractor-10-HP-/170525668119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was looking at one similar at harbor freight only difference was it was blue, someone mentioned about the wisconsin having a 1 1/8 inch shaft, so what would i do to adapt the old pullys to fit the new 1 inch shaft? also has anyone ever used an harbor freight motor like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...hp-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-66492.html its two HP less only difference i see, i like the ideal of having the back of recoil start just in case of an emergency. is it possibly to put a bigger altenator setup on one of those motors also, i run a winch on the tractor to lift the rear implements up and down and i dont know if the stock setup on it would be enough,

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a Harbor freight engine in my 1476 although it is not a good fit for it because on the 1476 it needs two out put shafts one on both sides of the engine, it would be great for the tube frames because they only have the one output shaft I have not had any power issues when using it to plow snow or to push dirt. I do want to repowwer it again with a twin and put the haror freight engine on my 1253 the tec engine is starting to smoke pretty good it will still mow well enough but I am thinking the 13 hp clone will do wonders for it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds like im goin with the clone. whats the average price for a bolens tiller for one of these with the drive shaft i need to sell it to get another motor. also ive aked a couple of times and have not gotten an answer on what to do about reusing my stock pullys

·
Registered
704 Posts
sounds like im goin with the clone. whats the average price for a bolens tiller for one of these with the drive shaft i need to sell it to get another motor. also ive aked a couple of times and have not gotten an answer on what to do about reusing my stock pullys
If you have access to a lathe, you'll need to build a sleeve. I'm not sure if anyone sells them, seems like someone should. After the sleeve is fabricated, you will need to make yourself a custom key, 3/8" x 1/4", to fully engage your pulley. Use loctite (blue) between sleeve and shaft only or line up you pulley and sleeve and mark and drill your sleeve to allow the set screws to penetrate thru to the shaft. this will keep the assembly on the new shaft. It's not as hard as it may sound.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok that makes sense on the sleeve, ill have a buddy of mine make one, thanks for the key demensions to. anyone interested in a tiller make me an offer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts