My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to replace the rear and front tires on my Bolens 800. The rim size is 6-12. I haven't been able to find many places with this tire size. I have found the standard firestone lug tire, and I found this Carlisle tread pattern. I think it would look okay on this tractor with a 3 rib front. Any suggestions on other tire brands or patterns?

Here's the Carlisle 6-12 tire:

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great,
I'll check into this. I would like to go with a little more aggressive tires, as I plan to pull a rake or maybe a disc harrow of the sorts, no plows though, we've got the 1000 with the hydralics for that

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
macanders

Are you looking for a tire that looks like it came with the tractor? I haven't seen the firestone terra tire in that size anywhere. If you want a more aggressive tread and an original appearance why not get some AGs?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AG's are probably what I'll end up with. I just wanted to see what choices I have. I think the tires on the tractor now are Goodyear. I'll keep on looking, Ive got alot of work to do before I actually get to the tires.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking to restore the tractor to a good working condition. While Im at it, Im removing rust and repainting pieces. Correct paint color and tire treads would be nice, but I looking to use the tractor for more than shows.
Im looking to use it in and out of the garden for pulling carts, a small harrow, straw raking, pulling limbs, etc. So I guess I may need a little more bite than the stock tread tires. I dont know though, it just like the look of a more aggressive AG tire.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats where I got the pictures from. :050:
I also went to Miller Tire and found some there also. I think I have made about 3 choices for the rear, Ag, turfsaver, and a knobby type. The front I have decided on 3 rib so my tractor can feel like a big one!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I really think you can't go wrong either way. Just pick what looks good to you.

You realize we are looking forward to more pics as you project continues.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ONE Year later.......back into the build. Are 4.00X8 tires the same as 4X8 tires???? Some sites have both listed, just dont want to end up with the wrong tires.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
DB,
Last year I worked on this tractor for about 4-6 months in the afternoons after work, I guess I got burnt out on it. BUT I am back!!!
I boxed everything up, and now I am in the last stages where I have a handful of brackets, gas tank, hood, wheels and mower deck left to rebuild and paint.
Its funny how much you forget when you dont keep up with the tractor world.

I will post pictures this evening, of the last few days of work, I am now dry-fitting everything to make sure I have everything I need before I get out the sanding disks and paint.

Remember What I started with.....ORANGE PAINT, I believe it was epoxy paint, it was very tough to remove!
Here's the link to the before pictures...
http://web.infoave.net/~mcanders/bolens800.html

Here's a link to the pictures that I took right when I got ready to take a break for a year.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=608

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the 6-12 turf tires in the first post. I will dismount the old ones, SOMEHOW, Im sure the 30+ years of sitting has probably rusted the rims to the beads. I hate this part, and the bad thing is, once you get the old one off, the new tire is twice as much trouble to get on.
I want to take these to a local shop to dismount and mount but Ive got alot of wirebrushing and sanding and painting before I go back up with the new. :banghead3

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the tires in primer last weekend. Just waiting for a good hot day to out on the white enamel. I have pictures that I will add this afternoon.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the pictures of the primer. Will probably paint the off white (actually International Harvester white) color next weekend weather permitting...Then I get to wrestle the new tires on the rims without scratching the paint!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts