My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding the driveshaft for my "in progress" Bolens 800. I have installed new bearings front and rear, new clutch disc material, and some fresh paint.
I am having trouble with the clutch play, or not clutch action at all. I got it all mocked up last night and I could not get the discs to seperate at all.

Here's what I found:
1. The usual clutch yoke wear. I am going to get these filled with some welding rod. I hope this is an acceptable method. If not I have another yoke that is not worn so bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also,
When searching for replacement bearing for the rear yoke assembly. I could not find a bearing that matched the old bearing exactly. What I ended up getting was a bearing that matched the ID and the OD but the length of the inner race was offset about a 1/4". Here's a shot of the shaft. You can see how much farther the yoke is from the clutch flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, got my fenders and seat mounted last night also, at least something went right.

My plans are to flip the bearing in the housing and try to get the yoke plate closer to the flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Flipped the bearing housing for the clutch yoke, distance is now about a 1/4-3/8" closer than before.
2. Welded some fill into the clutch yoke.

I will paint the parts this afternoon and reassemble the whole deal. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,676 Posts
I love watching a nice carefull restoration! :fing32:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything went smoothly tonight. I got the reassembled driveshaft painted and installed. I loosened all my adjusting brackets and go out my trusty service manual. I set the pedal to 60 degrees and half push clutch opens 1/16". I also got the lower belt guard and guide painted and installed. I should be able to clean my S8D up this weekend and mount it where it needs to be, up front, not on the floor of the garage.

The bearing was a little weird, the Id and Od were the same but the inner race was offset a little. Not enough to hurt things I dont think.

Man, this clutch pedal is tight and wobble free. I also replaced the sleeve bushings in the frame and pedal. I hate having a floppy pedal. Ought to be good for another 20 or so years! As long as I can keep the oil in and the dirt out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test fit of the S8D engine shows that the belts and belt changer will work correctly. One thing is, the spring on the idler pulley is way to strong. I feel like Im going to bend something. I guess I will have more leverage once the "cockpit" cover is mounted in place.
Now the engine will be cleaned and painted and then reassembled with correct shrouds and tin.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess I dont have my PTO belt yet. I just noticed that in the picture. Isnt the PTO belt like 42-7/8 long X1/2" wide? I will have to check my manuals.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
mcanders said:
I am rebuilding the driveshaft for my "in progress" Bolens 800. I have installed new bearings front and rear, new clutch disc material, and some fresh paint.
I am having trouble with the clutch play, or not clutch action at all. I got it all mocked up last night and I could not get the discs to seperate at all.

Here's what I found:
1. The usual clutch yoke wear. I am going to get these filled with some welding rod. I hope this is an acceptable method. If not I have another yoke that is not worn so bad.

Welding up the worn area is more than aceptable process......

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
bontai Joe said:
I love watching a nice carefull restoration! :fing32:

Joe you need to get up out of that recliner and give the man a helping hand! ya know, get some grease and dirt under those fingernails.... :fing02:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also own a 800. I am using a TR-10D engine. It throws snow into next week. The welding method is very acceptable. I did it! I have also turned those up side down. That works also. You got me on the bearing question.
Good luck and nice work so far,
Mark

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have any pictures of this snowblowin 800? Id like to see the tr10d mounted on the 800.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will pull her out of the garage in a day or two and take pictures. I have a disassembled G14 in the way. The TR-10D (or TRA-10D) is pretty much the same size block. It mounts to the frame in the same holes and all of the belt guides fit into holes that are in same location as the S-7D or S-8D. The TR-10D uses an under the flywheel coil so even the wiring is the same. It is a pretty slick swap. How do you post pictures anyway?
Mark

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Mark
You can post pics from www.photobucket.com it's a free service. After you download your pic there click on the lowest link under the pic and copy and paste it into your thread here.

You could also use "manage attachments" here but you will need to downsize the pics. We are also trying to keep bandwidth requirements low so the cost of the site doesn't get out of hand. That's why I suggest photobucket. The pics show up the same here w/o wasting space.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mark,
I guess the question is, are you still able to have a hi-low range with the pulley system or is it kinda stuck in one range all the time? Im trying to visualize by combining the different pulleys but I thought on the 10hp the two pulleys were the same size to run two same sized belts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just used the pulley off of the S-7D. They are both one inch diameter shafts. Hope this helps,
Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts