My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this site and forum. I own a ranch in Colorado. I originally joined because I was looking for information on a John Deere 400 series garden tractor, (listed at an auction) to till my wifes ever growing garden. I own a JD 5310 with a Kubota tiller which is way too big for her garden size. Anyway, in my search for a solid John Deere I came across a local Craigslist advertisement for 2 Bolens tractors plus attachments for $600. Being a cheap sob and always looking for a good deal I contacted the seller. A super nice fella who had owned both machines for over 20 years. He also owned a third larger hydrostatic Bolens and had no use for the smaller ones. He was quite knowledgeable on Bolens because he originally came from Ohio, and he said they would bring a pretty penny back east if he were there. Although I asked, he was firm on price and wouldn't budge. Bottom line is: I bought the tractors. An 800 and a 1050 for a total price of $600. Both tractors start, (electric) and run nice. Even the 1050's lights work. Both engines have a lot of oil, dirt and dust covering them and I won't get a chance to clean them off until the weekend to see what is underneath. Neither smoke when started or running. Both pto's work. Besides the two tractors I also got a nice front blade, mower deck, snowcaster and pto tiller. All in excellent working order and condition, (no dents or dings). A few years ago the last owner paid $250 to put in new gears and housing on the mower deck. Both tractors also came with nice rear wheel chains for the winter. I also got the pto extension, all original owners manual, parts manuals, service receipts, etc. I know you guys will want to know serial numbers and I will try and supply them in the next few days. If I can figure out how to load pictures here I will do that as well. Because I am new to Bolens, I will have many questions for you, but my main concern for you experienced Bolen's pro's now is: DID I GET A GOOD DEAL FOR $600 or should I be doing what these guys are doing :banghead3 :fing20: :crybaby:. Any early input is greatly appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to being a part of the Bolens family.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That sounds like a good deal to me. Make sure and post up some pics for us! You will love those two, and the folks on this forum can help with just about any issue you may have with either tractor. If you ever need parts, be sure and let me know. I have a TON of used parts available, usually very cheap.
The fact that you got manuals is also a good thing.
Good luck with them both!

Jason

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Yea, you did good. Where's the pictures? Nice score!

·
5,525 Posts
Welcome.

Dont sound like to bad of a deal to me.

If I may ask what was the bigger bolens he had.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello all,

Thank you for the replies. I just finished taking the mower deck apart to clean it out. The only number I can find on it is 171-3679. It is imprinted in the back frame that holds the gear housing. I looked in the fantastic Bolens Manuals section you have here, (http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=499) and couldn't find that number. If there is a special place to look for the model number on the decks, please let me know as I still need to figure out how to put it on the tractors. But it is definitely a Bolens, stickers and all. The tiller model number is 18610-02. WilberJ, the 3rd Bolens tractor the guy had was a 20 something horse power. I will call him and find out for you if you really want to know. It had a bad Onan engine in it that he replaced with a new engine that some company in Indiana sent him. Apparently, when Onan stopped making the motors for Bolens, this company in Indiana bought all of their remaining motors and the plans for them. I have to wait for my wife to return from a wedding out of town with our camera to provide photos. Thanks again for the replies. I will provide more model numbers later.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You did very well in that buy.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very good deal!

What part of Colorado? When I was a wee lad, my Dad and I went to Palisades. Almost moved there.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. You got a good deal on your tractors. They are tough little tractors you will enjoy them for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again for all of your replies. ratboy...I live in the eastern plains of Colorado. I am not able to find any tags showing model / serial numbers for the tractors on their frames. Any guidance to a secret stamp or area they may be would be appreciated. The motor for the 10 hp tractor is Model # TR 10D, Spec # 266362. If anyone can help guide me to whether this motor is for a 1050 or a 1000 I would appreciate it. Although the frame of this tractor has Bolens emblems stuck / riveted to it, the engine bay hood is just plain solid white, (but closes stug as a bug) with no decals or identification markings of any type. Kind of bummed about that. I will provide photos next week. The motor for the 8 hp tractor is model # S-8D, Spec # 249531. It has a Husky 800 emblem on the front grill. I drove the 10hp over to my barn last night with the lights on. I just love it, so regardless of my questions, (being a cheap ***) I am really impressed with how stout the tractor is and its' power. Thanks again all, really appreciate your help and input.:trink39:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It sounds like you have a 1966 1050 and a 1965 800. The ID tags that would tell you for sure are on the frame tube near the clutch pedal. Pictures will also help to confirm it.

Jason

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
TR-10D's were used in the 1000 in 1965 They were only used in the 1050's for the first year 1966. TRA-10D's were then used in the following years.

As for your 800 I'm guessing its 1964....
The 800's were made 2 years 1963-1964
The 63's were "golden" in color with a S-7D engine. In 64' they moved up to an 8 HP (S-8d)
Pics will help.....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome! You did very well.

I think the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. They may be dirty but they run without smoking and all the attachments spin and whirl. I would change all the filters and fluids including the heavy oil in the gear boxes of the tiller and mower, then locate and grease the 3 million zerk fittings on the tractor and attachments.

You might limit it to a gentle cleanup with auto soap and scrubbing by hand. There is nothing better than a high pressure sprayer to blast water into un-sealed bearings, like the mower deck.

I wonder if vegetable oil would help scrub off the old grease and dirt? A good splash of veggie oil and a little scrubbing really floats the greasy crud off my hands before I use soap and water.

Any belts, seals, or other parts are available with a little searching. The other members here have helped me find many parts, some at the local auto store, some more exotic places.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your feedback. Here are some photo's of the machines I bought. I hope this helps to answer the question of whether they are in good shape or not? As well, if the larger tractor is a 1050. I provided a shot of the model # sticker for it. I also provided photo's of the tiller and mower deck. The deck is on my work station because I am scraping off the goop and grime from it sitting for an extended period of time. The hood is not shown. It will need a new belt, but hopefully I will get two more mows out of it before the season ends. C2H80, thank you for the feedback on NOT power washing the deck. I have not done that, but I did power wash the tractors. Also, any feedback / help on the viscosity and amount called for in the gear box of both the deck and the tiller would be greatly appreciated because I didn't get an owner's manual for either. My next challenge will be to mount both of them without instructions. The deck to the 800 and the tiller to the ?1050? I really hope someone will be able to solve the mystery, (if any) on whether the larger tractor is a 1050 or not. Thank you again to all who have responded so far and I look forward to hearing ALL, (good and bad) of your feedback on the photo's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
They look to be in good condition :fing32:

The bolens with the square hood is a 1050.
The 800 is a 1964 for sure.

your 38'' deck fits on the 800. It can fit on the 1050 also....
The tiller will fit on both.

the seats have been swapped for some reason. The 1050 has the square seat and the 800 has the old pan seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh,

Wow, thanks Bolens 1000. Interesting on the seat switch. Didn't know that. Any thoughts, help or recommended references to check on the gear viscosity / capacity for either the tiller or mower deck?

Again thanks for yer input. This site is fantanstic!!! :thanku:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I use SAE 90 gear oil in my attachments.Mower deck : with the deck level on the ground, fill until oil is level with the oil plug. Tiller: fill it all the way up to the fill plug as well. Also be sure and grese all the attachment u joints if they have grease fittings on them. Also look on the tractor and grease any fittings you see.

Jason

1 - 20 of 22 Posts