My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and what brought me here was a recent trade I made for a Bolens 775 garden tractor. I love this machine so far! (Way more fun than my old push mower)

I'm using it as a weekly mower and it does a pretty decent job at cutting the grass. However, in just a few weeks she has already chomped up two belts. The belts look to be getting burned up by slippage.

The belt I purchased for this was a 1/2 x46 Dayco premium from farm and fleet. Do these work ok? I haven't been able to find an oem product due to the age of mower. Also the belt I speak of is the final drive belt which goes back to the hydrostatic transmission. It twists from a horizontal pulley to a vertical pulley and with the recommended 46in belt it appears to have little to no clearance at where the lower side goes under the idler pulley.

Even if it did make contact with that idler I'm not sure that would warrant the slipping and burning. The pulleys turn smoothly, so I've been leaning towards wear in the pulleys groove combined with a possible lowering of spring strength on the idler pulley. What do you guys think? What works in your machines?

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

Good trade! The 775 is one of the rarest of the small frames, its sister tractor the 770 was bought mostly because the 775 was the more expenisve one with the hydro option. the 770 was a standard. I own two of these machine and never had this prombel. Could you try a shorter belt, like a 45 1/2 to help prevent slipping? And also that is a mint tractor!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am working on my grandpa's 775. He uses it to push snow and roll his yard. He was pushing snow the other day and the hydrostatic linkage came apart. I'm trying to put it back together but I'm not even sure I have all the parts. Would you be able to take a picture of yours and post on here? I am really struggling to find any information on it.

Thanks,

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts