My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got the unit running and have been disappointed since I bought this for the snow blower capability. I have not been able to find one for the last couple of months in really good shape.:crybaby: So my Toro would not start today and I used the Eliminator to mow with a rear low tire. It did not matter, boy can this thing mow. It is better than my Toro. So here is where I am at on the Bolens. I have about $925 in it. It needs a set or rear tires, $200. If I do not find a snow blower, I am thinking of selling it in the fall, not the best time to sell a mower. Can I breakeven on the unit? I would have $1125 in it. It needs rear lights, but small dollars. The last snow blower was on Ebay for $700 (New unit). I sort of question my logic to have almost $2000 in an old unit, but boy does this thing do a great job mowing. Thougths?????:thThumbsU Has 700 hours on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well owning the older model of this, a 1974, and still going, I would do this. Jack up the rear and move both tires forward and then back to see how much play is in the bull gear in the rear. If it is tight, say 1/2 to an inch of play then it is good.

IF you have a good Bull gear, then get the hydro tested for pressure, if that is good (prob is), the only thing left is, does the motor seem strong, (compression check).

IF all that checks out then I would say, do a full tune up on it, change all the fluids & filters. Then sell the Toro, if everything checks out you can prob put another 5-700 hours on it with proper maintenance.

For snow blowers, go on Craig's list and circle out from your location, probably 50 or so blowers within 200 miles of yourself. Do a day trip and go get one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Keep it, find a blower. You could never replace it for what you paid.
I don't think $700 for a new blower is expensive when you think of what it would cost to buy a comparable tractor with mower and blower. Buying new doesn't mean trouble free either.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Here is a package with a blower, that I would split up with you if you want, You take the blower, rear wheels/tires, chains, wheel weights. All I really want is the tractor for parts & possibility of deck if there is one,

Heck, you can even take the front tires & rims, just swap out your tires and rims, so it has something to roll on.
If your interested let me know

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/hsh/3691662103.html

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wrote you a PM TRX, but now I have another question. Does the Blower have a frame that goes on the tractor to mount the unit? I have nothing to mount the unit on the 5020H except what you see in the picture. ZILCH...
I saw your craigslist AD and am confused?

Attachments

·
Farmer
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is a package with a blower, that I would split up with you if you want, You take the blower, rear wheels/tires, chains, wheel weights. All I really want is the tractor for parts & possibility of deck if there is one,

Heck, you can even take the front tires & rims, just swap out your tires and rims, so it has something to roll on.
If your interested let me know

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/hsh/3691662103.html

How much are they asking for that package? Wish I was closer and I would split it with you

·
Registered
622 Posts
$1500 for Tractor, plow, and blower,,,,, (roller,,,,meh).

·
Registered
844 Posts
I wrote you a PM TRX, but now I have another question. Does the Blower have a frame that goes on the tractor to mount the unit? I have nothing to mount the unit on the 5020H except what you see in the picture. ZILCH...
I saw your craigslist AD and am confused?
FordTractors, If I am seeing this correctly, the blowers that mount on your style of Bolens comes with a long, large ladder frame that fits under the tractor to support and lift the blower.

:dunno:

·
Registered
62 Posts
that seems like a pretty good deal, I might be getting a blower, plow, with extra set of rear wheels with chains on them for just over 500$ paid 1200 for my tractor. is that a fair price for blower? says in very good shape, plow doesn't have frame, but seller said I can use blower frame.

$1500 for Tractor, plow, and blower,,,,, (roller,,,,meh).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts