My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bolens 1600 hydro eliminator (made in 1982 apparently). Its in pretty good shape - all original - but has a problem. As soon as you turn on the PTO, the amp meter reads -10 to -15 amps and the fuel shut off begins to kick in and the tractor sputters and tries to die. Without the PTO on I can see +2 to +5 amps charging the battery - the stator output is about 15 volts AC or so, DC output from the regulator seems to be present as the battery is charging.

Is this a stator issue or a PTO issue? When you hit the switch you can here the PTO engage and see it begin to spin. Should I check the clearance with the PTO halves? With the tractor not running the PTO is very hard to manually turn - sound like its grinding or rubbing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Sounds like your pto clutch is done. You will need a new one, which can be quite expensive. Also, check the wiring for any loose/corroded connections.

Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That stinks - does anyone know what the proper resistance and current draw for the 1600 hydro PTO might be? Should the PTO easily turn manually when the tractor is not running?

I have an old cub cadet manual that talks about PTO diagnosis. It says for the VX series clutches they should be between 2.4 and 3.4 ohms to be considerered working properly. Also they should draw more than 3.5 amps to be considered working properly. ALso the air gap shoud be between .010 and .025". Anyone know if these parameters might go for the Bolens as well?

Any replies would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - these all do help. I just wish one would tell me where to find a new field coil assembly (pn: 1754154) for under $150. Mine has a resistance of 0.4 ohms and looks like its well done.

Sonny Bolens can get me a new one for $380 or so. Guess it could be worse - I could need the entire PTO - thats about $900.

I paid $450 for the entire tractor - which seems to be in good shape otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a 1900 and I am in the same boat as you I just need the field coil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts