My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Bolens 1250 and started checking it over. Thought the trans-axle dipstick looked a little odd as I could actually see the O-ring with the dipstick installed. I removed it and all that remains are the threads. Before I start looking for a replacement, I want to make sure the fluid level is correct so I can at least fire it up (once I get the tires back on the rims and re-sealed) and take it for a spin to see how it runs. In pictures I've seen of the dipstick it looks like the "full" level is just below the threads. Is this correct ?

Attachments

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I am not 100% sure and can check later .. but I think the "full" fluid level is about 3/4" down from where your dip stick broke off ..

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
On both of my 1250's, which have the original dipsticks, the full mark is just barely below the threads. Eaton may have changed that later on the Eaton 12, because I noted that the dipstick on a 1250 is much shorter overall than a dipstick in an 1886, also with an Eaton 12 hydro.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
On my 1455, the full mark is 3/4 inch below the threads also. Mine has a small chip out of the top that lets the O-ring show.
Dave

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From everything I've read, it sounds like the Eaton 12 fluid level on the 1250 should be at the bottom of the threads when the machine is idling in neutral (fluid will run out of the fill hole if removed when machine is off). So I decided to just fabricate a new plug and call it good. Attached the expensive feed attachment to my milling machine and turned a 3/4"(10 thread) bolt down to fit into the (hair under) 7/8" recess in the trans-axle. Cut a slot on the end of the bolt so a screw-driver could be used to feed the bolt back and forth across the grinding wheel (slow process but it worked). Then cut the bolt to length and cut a screw-driver slot with a hack-saw.

-Neil

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts