My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most guys using for a battery in a 1250?
I've been running a size 58 in my 1455, but its a squeeze fit when it comes to closing the hood.
The 1250 is due for a fresh battery this year and I was wondering what the largest, readily available battery anyone has found to fit one of these?
I'm hoping to find something at Walmart since I've got a gift card to use up there.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The best thing to do is measure the space that you have a nd take those measurement and a ruler with you to get one that fits.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
22NF comes up as an AGM type battery?
These things weren't built with this type of battery and I doubt if Walmart sells anything close. Not to mention the best internet price I can find is $130.

I'm also not sure if the 22F would even be good fit. The 58 size battery I've got in it now hits the hood and it measures only 7 1/4" wide, and it hits the hood, requiring that I guide the hood past the battery hard by hand.
A free and clear fit would mean that the battery can be no more than 6.75" wide, 8.75" tall, and no more than 9.25" long. This would be the largest to fit the hole and still use the factory battery hold down clamp and bolts.

Maybe just notching the hood and using the readily available group 58 batteries is the easiest answer? If I close the hood with a #58 installed, the hood's edge hits the battery about 1" from clearing the battery's far right edge, but it only overlaps the battery about two inches or so. I do see that the 1455 restoration pics at Sam's Bolens shows that tractor having a #58, and it somehow clears the hood.
Can the tank and battery tray be fudged a bit to gain some clearance?

·
5,525 Posts
The 22NF will work and its the same size they used to use.
Last one I got was $50 at carquest.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yardiron this is not the first post on this topic and the 22 nf is what they came with originally(1250s) I have 4 of these bought from pacific power batteries and they are about 70 bucks each... But maybe with this many large frames I am doing something wrong.......

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a Carquest around here, there hasn't been in ages.
Autozone shows only a $125 7 year industrial battery in that size, and Deka from East Penn shows their only Group 22NF, which they call a 322NF, as a dry battery, (AGM).
I think it's safe to assume that these things didn't come with AGM or even a deep cycle type gel cell for that matter.
The Carquest battery shown above looks to be a standard lead acid battery, but the nearest Carquest store according to their website is over 50 miles from me.
Advance and Walmart don't show one at all.
The group 25 looks like a possibility going on measurements but the Walmart here only seams to stock group 78, 65, 75, 51R, 58, 35, and 24 batteries. They tell me that's all they stock. They also have these sizes only in an assortment of various brands, between champion, Everstart, and MAX Everstart batteries. The 51R, 35, 65, and 58 sizes are only available in the MAX series here for $114 The plain Everstart batteries are priced now at $85. Last summer they were only $65. (Even the small L&G batteries are now $44. It wasn't all that long ago I could buy an 11R at the auto parts store for $20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts