My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

I have been looking for a tractor this winter for plowing my gravel driveway. I have stumbled upon an older bolens husky 1225 for 575.00. Is that a decent deal? I dont really know what they go for.

Here are the specs:

CHAINS IN REAL NICE SHAPE. I THINK IT HAS A 12 HP WISCONSIN ENGINE WITH A NICE SHAPE 42" DECK.

ENGINE RUNS STRONG, HAS HYDRAULICS WHICH ALL WORK WELL, AND A DIFFERENTIAL LOCK ON THE REAR END.

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
I think it is a bit on the high side but if there are not many to be found in your area then it may be OK. I'd make an offer for $400.00 and see what they say.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I think it is a bit on the high side but if there are not many to be found in your area then it may be OK. I'd make an offer for $400.00 and see what they say.
I also agree with ED .. unless its Cherry .. he is asking a bit too much :goodl:

And if you do get it .. come on back and ask all the questions you need to .. I'm not real familiar with 1225 .. but many here are :thanku:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would have to agree with everyone that the asking price is a bit high unless it is mint or it comes with a lot of attachments. The 1969 Bolens 1225 is not a very popular model only because it was only made for one model year. It was the first hydrostatic tube frame ever made by Bolens. Wisconsin engine parts are becoming harder to find but modern ignition modules can be bought from a few sources. Other than that is is the same tube frame that Bolens made for many years. Parts should not be hard to find locally, through ebay, or some of our NOS Bolens dealers (i.e. Sams, Sonny's, etc). Any specific questions about the 1225 do not hesitiate to ask. I own one, albiet a "bit" modified, and love it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I offered him 400 and he said he would go for 475. Not to bad I guess. Im going to go look at it this afternoon. Anything I should look for? Also how are the hydrolics on these? I dont know much about them, are they easy to fix if they break?

Thanks again, you guys have been really helpful :)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Pull the tranny dip stick and smell the oil, if it has a burnt smell dicker for a smaller price. Do the same on the engine oil smell is for excess gas in it. Drive it. Check the steering for excess travel. True, its not new and will have some issues. Just let the seller know that you know a little about checking things that wear.Tie rod ball joint wear and do want to come apart. On a recent buy of mine the PO had a bundgee cord holding the steering together. It was tucked back under the fender as not to be seen. I did notice it but said nothing. Look for the little things.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I have a 1225 I use with a Bolens tiller and its about the most powerful and tough 12HP
GT you'll ever find in my opinion.Great tractor

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mikey, You can't be far from me, that has been on craigslist for a couple of months (I been watchin'). I gave $650 for mine 17 years ago, still have it, only rebuilt the motor once (10 years ago). The TRA12D's run forever with little problems. However, if it still starts on the key, I urge you to strongly consider putting the coil/ignition wire on a seperate switch. Just a safety precaution against losing your pick up from free roaming voltage on a worn switch. The Eaton 10 tranny is unstoppable. You would not believe the crap I have put mine thru without the first hint of problems. I've tilled, plowed snow, subsoiled, mowed, chipped, used a grader blade, and done wheelies with all 4 tires loaded, weighted and the rears chained. 17 years of abuse and few problems that were not caused by me (I even rolled it once, DOLT). It has recently earned a retirement statis due to an influx of large frames to the 'farm'. If you ever need anything for it, PM me and I'll give you my phone # and directions, or if you just want to bs about bolens, check available attachments, etc. ( I drink MGD by the way, hint, hint)

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Good thread here, I love all the positive things said about the TRA12D. I just acquired a 1256 with a TRA12D that runs great, just a leaky lift cylinder. That tractor is #2 on my list of tractors to restore. I hope you get the 1225 for a good price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts