My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1050 came with a dead Wisconsin. What would you guys recommend for a modern repower with electric start? I don't want anything overly complicated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What's "dead" about the wisconsin. You might be better off rebuilding, you'll end up with a better engine for the money.

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
:ditto:

Those old Wisconsins have a LOT more 'grunt' (torque) than any of the new engines of similar HP.

I'd fix it if at all possible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Needs a head, valves, starter/generator(right there makes it not worth it), carb, dipstick and gasket set. That's the bare minimum...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I repowered my 1225 with an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard V-Twin. My tractor originally came with a 12 HP Wisconsin single which had 16 ft-lbs of torque. The Vanguard has 50% more HP and 100% more torque. It starts every time, has plenty of power and is super smooth. Parts for the old Wisconsins are becoming harder and harder to find and when you do you have to shell out a lot of cash to do so. I am extremely happy with my engine swap. The only thing I regret is not going with the 23 HP version as it is the same size but the extra power and torque would have been nice. More of a piece of mind thing than anything. If you have any questions about my swap feel free to ask.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I repowered my 1225 with an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard V-Twin. My tractor originally came with a 12 HP Wisconsin single which had 16 ft-lbs of torque. The Vanguard has 50% more HP and 100% more torque. It starts every time, has plenty of power and is super smooth. Parts for the old Wisconsins are becoming harder and harder to find and when you do you have to shell out a lot of cash to do so. I am extremely happy with my engine swap. The only thing I regret is not going with the 23 HP version as it is the same size but the extra power and torque would have been nice. More of a piece of mind thing than anything. If you have any questions about my swap feel free to ask.
How difficult was it? Did you have to modify anything?

·
Registered
582 Posts
It was not hard at all. The engine bolted in the original position so I did not have to modify the hood. I had to make different spacers for the height so I could reuse the original belt lengths. The fuel tank will have to be relocated. I originally used my Wisconsin tank under the rear fender. I have since replaced it with a larger tank on the back from a Gravely tractor. I want to try and make a custom one for under the fender again. The engine I purchased came with a ignition switch and wiring harness so I just moved it from the engine shields to the dash. I bought an original B&S exhaust system and it fit with a slight cut to the hood. I went with the Vanguard V-Twin for the extra power and because it looks like it belongs there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any pics of the mods?

·
Registered
704 Posts
superlift, how far are you willing to travel for a 10hp wisconsin out of a 1050? I have 3 of them that will probably never be used for anything. I'm 45 mins east of Columbus, Ohio. PM me if interested. They are complete with starter, carb, pulleys, etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
superlift, how far are you willing to travel for a 10hp wisconsin out of a 1050? I have 3 of them that will probably never be used for anything. I'm 45 mins east of Columbus, Ohio. PM me if interested. They are complete with starter, carb, pulleys, etc.
I can't afford to drive that far right now. I'll definitely keep you in mind though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts