My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an older 1970s 610 knowing it needed some work. I'm going to use it around the yard for filling some land and moving snow. Overall the machine is in great condition with 40 hours the rebuilt Wisconsin engine

The owner said the tractor was getting slower and loosing it's steering. It now barely moves and the rod in the variable speed drive sheave is coming out the center of the drive. What could have caused this and what damage was likely done?

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
The service manual shows a snap ring that needs to be removed to get the cap off. If the snap ring is still there then something may have broken further inside the unit. I would highly recommend you get the manual for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've picked up the manual and have some more info that I think is pointing me towards the clutches needing to be replaced.

I got the hydraulics on the variable speed drive taken care of (new e-ring). However, this did not fix my steering or speed issues.

I tightened each of the clutches which removed a significant amount of slop in the levers but it did not fix my problem and I feel like I have to push on the levers harder than I should to get the machine to creep along. I lifted the seat and watched the drive belt and did not notice any slipping. When I push on either the right or left lever to turn I get a little jerk then the belt doesn't spin at all.

Thoughts? Anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the clutches out and they look to be in relatively good condition which makes me doubt they were slipping. The clutch plates are also square and the surfaces look good.

If the clutches and belt aren't slipping where do I look now?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts