My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My neighbor, who used to own a rental shop, gave me a 1999 Bluebird 520 Overseeder when he retired and moved to Florida. Being that overseeding time is coming up, I'd like to try to renovate some of the decimated parts of my lawn from this past summer's heat wave(s). I looked at the instructions on the machine and also the manual and the Bluebird website, but I can't find any information on what the correct height/depth setting for the blades should be. I know it says when using the dethatcher blades to set the height so the blades just touch the ground when the machine is set on a level surface such as a walkway, but it makes no mention about what setting to use for the delta blades for overseeding. Anyone have any idea? I've never used one of these before. :thanku:

·
Registered
43 Posts
The purpose of the blades is to cultivate or open up the soil surface so as to improve seed to soil contact. Generally speaking, increased seed to soil contact will lead to better rooting of grass seedlings (probably better seed germination as well) if adequate moisture levels and temperature is present. Turfgrass seeds don't need to be planted deeply, as I'm sure we've all seen seed germinate when it was laying on top of the ground. So, with that being said, set your seeder blades to a depth that opens up the soil surface uniformly. On very flat, uniform areas, 1/8 of an inch may be satisfactory; on areas that aren't as level, a 1/4 inch depth may yield better results. Bottom line, you'll have to experiment with it a bit on your lawn to find the sweet spot.

Mitchell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts