My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My whole yard is Bluegrass. It was planted in about 1962. It was never really taken care of until we moved in 2.5 years ago. Since that time I've sprayed a lot to get the clover out. Still working on it but it's way better than when I moved in. We fertilize at least 3 time s a year and mow once a week. I water when I think it needs it. Usually when it starts to turn brown or when it's super hot just to keep it from turning brown. I do not have underground sprinklers so it's a pain to water 1 acre. Well in actuality the waterable part is about 2/3 an acre. The other 1/3 needs tore up and planted. It had pines on it.

Anyway I usually only water my front yard. I only have 1 large tree to so most of the grass isn't shaded. The front yard mows relatively well and looks good when I'm done. The side and back yard where I have 5 large trees doesn't get water really ever. When I mow it the grass just seems to lay over and looks like poo. The grass is always green and always grows excellent. So what's the deal?

I used to think it was my mower but now I'm thnking it has to do with my watering or with it not getting much sun at all. I've used 4 different push mowers, 6 different riders and all have the same effect this time of year. Early in the year it mows fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

T.C.

·
Registered
292 Posts
its a cooler season grass that combined with its fine texture and lack of water your doing good if it isnt brown mine well part of it anyhow is bluegrass and fescue and looks great in the spring and early summer but we havent had a whole lot of rain so its starting to brown and grow slow except for the weeds which are growing just as fast as ever lol what height are you cutting at as far as inches goes ? mow it at about 3-3 1/2 inches seems to be the best much higher and it will lay over much lower and it will brown also try using a high lift blade and make sure its sharpened regularly this helps mine alot

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea doesn't matter If i Use the ninja blade or high lift. Still lays over. I mow it the second from the top setting.

T.C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts