My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to tractor pull Saturday morning and was going to pull my John deere.It has the FD620D gator engine in it .This being liquid cooled.
As I started to hook to the sled -I saw vapors and could smell antifreeze coming from one of my header pipes.I backed off and put the tractor on my trailer.Once at home--I started the tractor and drove it around a few blocks and the vapors came back and it was missing so i knew the head gasket had blown.
Yesterday-i went by the machine shop that I use and he listened to motor and said he thought it had blown a head gasket.
I had another head so while i was tearing the engine down i had the machine shop to grind the valves on another head and I would just swap out heads.I installed a new gasket with the different head with fresh valve job and as I went to start engine--antifreeze came out the exhaust and I stopped trying to start.The motor has not started at this point.
I took the engine apart -didnt see anything wrong so i went and got some copper gasket and coated the gasket and installed head again.I left overnight and today put the intake and carb back on and left the header off.
as i tried to start--same results--immediately antifeeze came out thru the exhaust valve.I pulled the head again and took it back to the machine shop and let the guy see if the surface was smooth.I had both the older head and the fresh valve job head resurfaced--ANY IDEAS What I SHOULD DO NEXT.
I have checked the block--cant see and cracks--with piston down--no liquid is in cycler wall..HELP HELP HELP

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I am totally unfamiliar with the motor yu are using, but there is obviously a problem. Coolant has to be getting in somehow. With all the checking you have done on the head, I'd be looking at the block.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I decided to try the head that was on tractor saturday when this gasket blowed. I installed head and tried to start engine and antifreeze came out again thru exhaust port--I then removed head and put the copper coating on gasket and tried it again with the same results.The guy at the machine shop said in the morning we are going to magneflux the cyclinder since it hasd a steel sleeve and see if it shows cracked.I still cant see a crack in the sleeve and with piston at the bottom of cyclinder -there is no liquid getting into or on piston--Mystery i guess unless I have two cracked heads.The guy at the john deere told me if the heads had been sitting for a couple of years-theres a possibility it could have cracked.The block had been sitting for at least 1 and 1/2 years so I m hoping that I cracked a head and the one I had extra was also cracked rather than it being the block

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
ok this might be a dumb question but im an auto mechanic and have never heard of a head cracking while not installed on an engine unless it was dropped

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think he is saying the original head had been sitting on the block for at least 1 -1.5 years unused, and that he does know the status of the second head he tried. So they may both be cracked.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Water cooled carb is leaking... Just jokeing... But this did happen to me with a car... It took $700.00 to find the O-ring leak...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think he is saying the original head had been sitting on the block for at least 1 -1.5 years unused, and that he does not know the status of the second head he tried. So they may both be cracked.

Edit from above statement

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill try to clarify the head situation.I bought the puller after it had been sitting outside for 1 and 1/2 to 2 years.When i got the tractor home -I could not get tractor to start. In with the deal to buy this tractor another engine came with it that had a leaking seal.
Ok after not being able to get engine running-i removed the heads from the engine that had been outside and also from the extra engine and took all 4 to the machine shop and told him to pick out the best two and grind the valves.
I have been running tractor about three months now without any problems til this past saturday when it blew the gasket.
Ok I had the valves ground on the head that was extra while I was tearing the engine down and then bought new gasket and installed back with the fresh ground head.
Now the confusion may have come in after my visit to the dealer.The mechanic there told me without me telling him that if the engine had sit outside and not enough antifreeze in head--the head may have cracked.Now that being said--I didnt know which head was the original one so I made the statement that one head may have been cracked from sitting and I may have cracked the other this past saturday.
Ok UPDATE--THE MACHINE SHOP DID THE MAGNAFLUX AND BLOCK HAD NO CRACKS .THAT WAS GOOD NEWS.i ASKED IF HE COULD DECK THE BLOCK AND HE SAID HE COULD BUT WE WOULD HAVE TO REMOVE EVERYTHING.
WE PUT A STRAIGHT EDGE ACROSS CYCLINDER AND FOUND THE BLOCK TO BE HIGHER THAN THE CYCLINDER SLEEVE SO THIS WAS THE REASON FOR THE ANTIFEEZE COMING IN. WE ARE GOING TO REMOVE THE HIGH EDGES UNTIL THE SLEEVE AND BLOCK ARE EVEN THEN ILL TRY IT AGAIN.WILL POST MORE RESULTS LATER WHAT A WEEK-10 TIMES OF REMOVING AND INSTALLING THE HEAD IF THIS IS THE CURE-THEN A LESSEN LEARNED TO TRY STRIGHE EDGE FIRST BUT IN MY MIND THE QUESTION IS -HOW WAS IT RUNNING UNTIL THIS PAST SATURDAY WITHOUT LEAKING AND THEN ALL OF SUDDEN THE SLEEVE IS LOWER??????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts