My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Well, my 2003 GT 225 started blowing smoke and turns out she had a blown head gasket. Got it replaced at my local JD dealer (Agrishop Auburn, WA) and they did an excellent job. Highly recommend them to anyone in the area.

My question is... What sort of failure on my part is a blown head gasket indicative of? I did all of my routine maintenance - Is this just something that happens as an engine ages?

Thanks so much,
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Any head gasket car or GT has a hard crappy life. With thermal difference the head and block expand and contract at different rates so they move different ways and the head gasket has to stay sealed on both sides. There's a lot of strain on it more so on an air cooled GT engine because the heat is higher than a liquid cooled motor. The only thing you can do is make sure all the tin work and screens on your machine are clean and it can get as much air as it can get to cool itself. The only way you directly caused the gasket to go that I can think of is to have run it hot. That will cause a head gasket on any motor to fail.

·
blinged out
1,348 Posts
could have been improperly torqued when installed, did the dealer mention anything about retorquing after the engine had been brought up to temp! maybe they did this when installed,but it might be something to ask them!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll make sure to keep everything cleaned out and keep the airflow real good. With I had a water cooled engine, oh well!

They didn't mention anything about re-torquing after getting up to temperature. Next time I'm there, I'll be sure to ask them.

Thanks again,
Tom

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts